This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4372 / 51°26'14"N
Longitude: -0.1727 / 0°10'21"W
OS Eastings: 527108
OS Northings: 172498
OS Grid: TQ271724
Mapcode National: GBR D8.94D
Mapcode Global: VHGRB.Y4KK
Entry Name: Springfield Hospital (Main Building)
Listing Date: 7 April 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065553
English Heritage Legacy ID: 206991
Location: Wandsworth, London, SW17
Electoral Ward/Division: Wandsworth Common
Built-Up Area: Wandsworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Wandsworth Common St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
BEECHCROFT ROAD SW17
TQ 2772 16/3
Edward Lapidge. Built 1840 as the Surrey County Lunatic Asylum, with later
extensions, it is a grand symmetrical Tudor-style composition enclosing a large
courtyard. It is in red brick with some blue brick diapering, stone dressings and
slate roofs. It has a centre pavilion of 3-storeys and gables linked by 2-storey
flanking ranges to 3-storey embattled blocks. The long 2-storey wings at right-
angles have 3-storey embattled blocks at their centres and are stopped by 4-storey
The centre pavilion is framed by advanced wings. A short flight of steps rises to
the entrance block which is 3 windows wide with windows of varying design. The
pointed-arch entrance is framed in a square head with label, the spandrels filled
with quatrefoils. A stone band with ribbon motif separates ground and first floors.
The second floor has the date 1840 in diaper. The gable carries a clock in a
lozenge plaque and rises to a tall finial with weather vane.
Each wing is 3 windows wide at the ground floor. The first and second floors are
united behind a single window 6 lancets high and 4 broad. A single light pierces
The 4-storey end-pavilions each have advanced angle-bays and an advanced centre
with a plaque dated 1874.
Listing NGR: TQ2710872498
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings