History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walthamstow Tramway and Offices and Depot

A Grade II Listed Building in William Morris, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5933 / 51°35'35"N

Longitude: -0.019 / 0°1'8"W

OS Eastings: 537316

OS Northings: 190130

OS Grid: TQ373901

Mapcode National: GBR JZ.CVT

Mapcode Global: VHGQN.M69X

Entry Name: Walthamstow Tramway and Offices and Depot

Listing Date: 3 August 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1065573

English Heritage Legacy ID: 206965

Location: Waltham Forest, London, E17

County: London

District: Waltham Forest

Electoral Ward/Division: William Morris

Built-Up Area: Waltham Forest

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Walthamstow St John

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Walthamstow

Listing Text

TQ 39 SE CHINGFORD ROAD
Walthamstow Tranmay
Offices and Depot
1802/1/10003
II

Tramway offices and depot. 1905. Brick in flemish bond with terracotta
dressing. High unusual roof of slate to front block, with pitched roof
of slate to rear. rear wing detailed below. Two storeys, three window
range with 3-window range to left return and late C20 firestair,
specifically excluded from this listing, to right. Round-arched
ground-floor windows with brick and terracotta voussoirs; flat arched
windows to first floor that to centre an oriel topped by semi circular
pediment. Centre range flanked by full-height brick pilasters,
terminating at roof line in a broad segmental pediment, the tympanum
of which has a shield and clock; balustrade forms parapet over end
ranges and returns. To left-return a projecting bay, topped by Dutch
gable, with rectangular bay appended; This served to right waiting
room, which, filled front of ground floor. segmental arched windows
to return rear wings. Sill, lintel bond to first floor. Rear of 2
storey block steps down with broken joins, which masks division
between public waiting room and conductors office. Stacks to rear of
mansard and hack wall of lower , two-storey wing. This listing extends
to the single storey wings which stretch back to the rear of the site.
Brown brick in English bond with red brick trim, with hipped roofs of
slate. Segmental-arched openings. These blocks set back to form a
service of shallow courts; moving from the main block to rear. The
wing house the following functions; notice room of 3-window range
superintendents office of 2-window range, a recessed court of 2-window
range served as a transformer room, then a "spare" room, a room of
unknown purpose, including in toilet facilities. All stacks of
original design.


Listing NGR: TQ3731690130

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.