History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fetter Lane Congregational Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Cathall, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5564 / 51°33'23"N

Longitude: -0.0025 / 0°0'9"W

OS Eastings: 538571

OS Northings: 186063

OS Grid: TQ385860

Mapcode National: GBR KW.Q19

Mapcode Global: VHGQV.X40N

Entry Name: Fetter Lane Congregational Chapel

Listing Date: 24 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1065592

English Heritage Legacy ID: 206909

Location: Waltham Forest, London, E11

County: London

District: Waltham Forest

Electoral Ward/Division: Cathall

Built-Up Area: Waltham Forest

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Harrow Green Holy Trinity and St Augustine of Hippo

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Leyton

Listing Text

TQ 38 NE LANGTHORNE ROAD
Leyton, Ell
2/42 (south side)

- Fetter Lane Congregational
Chapel

- II

Church and former Sunday school. Dated 1899. By P Morley Horder. Roughcast. Stone
dressings. Steeply pitched slate roof to eaves. Corner site. Galleried chapel to
upper 2 storeys with former schoolroom below. Six paired bays. Arts and Crafts
manner. Gabled west end with flush mullioned Serlian window to gable and central
part of facade breaking forward slightly. Entrance to right. 3-light mullioned
windows to first floor. Returns to right and left with prominent battered buttresses
between bays, linked to form segmental reveals around upper windows. Windows
segmental headed to ground floor, square above; mullioned, in timber to ground floor,
in stone above. Small panes, leaded lights. Projecting 3-storey north porch with
arched entrance. Interior with cast iron columns supporting galleries to north, west
and south. Short chancel with Serlian motif forming chancel arch. Central pulpit in
ornate late C17 style; panelling to chancel. Nave roof comprising segmental barrel
vault. Design of church interior said to recall the original Fetter Lane Chapel of
1660.


Listing NGR: TQ3857186063

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.