History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grotto and Flanking Walls at the Oaks

A Grade II Listed Building in Carshalton South and Clockhous, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3355 / 51°20'7"N

Longitude: -0.1714 / 0°10'17"W

OS Eastings: 527479

OS Northings: 161188

OS Grid: TQ274611

Mapcode National: GBR DG.PGP

Mapcode Global: VHGRQ.ZP7K

Entry Name: Grotto and Flanking Walls at the Oaks

Listing Date: 8 September 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1065606

English Heritage Legacy ID: 206840

Location: Sutton, London, SM7

County: London

District: Sutton

Electoral Ward/Division: Carshalton South and Clockhous

Built-Up Area: Sutton

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Woodmansterne St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Banstead

Listing Text

1. CROYDON LANE
4430 WOODMANSTERNE
Grotto and Flanking
Walls at The Oaks
TQ 2761 SW 42/254
TQ 2761 SE 43/254
II
2.
Late C18 to Cl9. On south side, grotto set in central recess with high red brick rear
and flanking walls. Two-light casement windows in the flanking walls, some with small
panes; these light the two ranges of red brick, lean-to outbuildings with slate roofs
which are built against the north side of the flanking walls. The north walls of the
outbuildings have segementally headed windows, six panes wide and four deep with centre
pivot lights; flat headed doorways. Flanking walls included on account of the grotto.

From late C18 to 1834, the Oaks was occupied by the Earls of Derby, their house at the
Oaks having been substantially built in late C18 by the twelfth Earl who died in 1834.
The house was demolished circa 1957-60. For a brief history of the Oaks estate, see
Victoria County History for Surrey Vol IV, see entry in MHLG provisional list of 1953
for Carshalton VDj see also I Nairn, N Pevsner and B Cherry, The Buildings of England:
Surrey (1971).


Listing NGR: TQ2747961188

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.