History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Coppermills (Waterboard Stores)

A Grade II Listed Building in High Street, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5774 / 51°34'38"N

Longitude: -0.052 / 0°3'7"W

OS Eastings: 535080

OS Northings: 188296

OS Grid: TQ350882

Mapcode National: GBR J5.9K0

Mapcode Global: VHGQN.1MV5

Entry Name: The Coppermills (Waterboard Stores)

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Last Amended: 15 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1065618

English Heritage Legacy ID: 206869

Location: Waltham Forest, London, E17

County: London

District: Waltham Forest

Electoral Ward/Division: High Street

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Walthamstow St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Leyton

Listing Text

COPPERMILL LANE
2/10 Walthamstow, E17

Waterboard Stores
(Formerly listed as
The Old Coppermills)

The address shall be
amended to read:-
COPPERMILL LANE
Walthamstow, E17

The Coppermills
(Waterboard Stores)

------------------------------------

TQ 38 NE COPPERMILL LANE
Walthamstow E17

2/10 Waterboard Stores (Formerly
listed as The Old Coppermills )
19.10.51

GV II

Former coppermills, now waterboard stores. 1806. Yellow brick, Portland stone
dressings; renewed pantile roof to main block and slate roof to subsidiary wing.
Main block square in plan; east facade of 4 bays, 2 storeys with blind ground
floor and giant segmental arches upon pilasters with Portland stone capitals;
segmental windows inset to upper storey. Entrance to left segmental headed with
blind oculus above. Parapet with brick band below. Fourth bay to right
overlapped by subsidiary advanced wing in matching style, of 2 storeys; 5 bays to
south facade with taller centre having giant segmental relieving arch with inset
vesica to upper storey. Square headed windows, set in giant relieving arches;
glazing bars; casements to ground floor. Later Italianate tower attached to north
of main block, rectangular in plan with arcading, brick eaves cornice and hipped
roof. The coppermills were served by a stream running beneath the building; at
one time it was used for the manufacture of tokens.


Listing NGR: TQ3508088296

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.