This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3649 / 51°21'53"N
Longitude: -0.1692 / 0°10'9"W
OS Eastings: 527551
OS Northings: 164460
OS Grid: TQ275644
Mapcode National: GBR DD.XNR
Mapcode Global: VHGRK.0YXK
Entry Name: Carshalton House
Listing Date: 16 March 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065627
English Heritage Legacy ID: 206790
Location: Sutton, London, SM5
Electoral Ward/Division: Carshalton Central
Built-Up Area: Sutton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Carshalton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 2764 SE 20/160 16.3.54.
1696-1713; Edward Carleton purchased property here in 1696; in 1713 Carshalton
House was seized by the Crown to meet a revenue debt of £16,000 incurred by Edward
Carleton and an inventory was made of the House and its contents; this inventory
refers to 2 sets of 7 bedrooms and a "painted parlour" on the ground floor which
are all features of the house today. In 1714, John Fellowes [Sir John Fellowes
after 1719] Sub-Governor of the South Sea Company purchased the house. He added
the 3rd storey to replace the former attic storey with dormers and the 4 bay
loggia to the west of the south front and made various alterations to the interior;
he was also responsible for commissioning the laying out of the grounds in landscape
style together with the erection of ornamental buildings [see Water Tower and
Hermitage or Grotto].
Exterior. South front of 3 storeys, brown brick with profuse red rubber brick
dressings. 1-2-3-2-1 windows, the centre and ends projecting for full height
with angle piers. Moulded plinth, moulded band at 1st floor level, heavy carved
wood modillioned cornice over 1st floor, top floor with simple cornice and blocking
course, hipped slate roof. Ground and 1st floor windows with recessed aprons;
sash windows in recessed cased frames throughout. Central entrance with 7 splayed
stone steps with moulded nosings and original wrought iron balustrades; wood
doorcase circa 1760 with Corinthian columns and back pilasters, architrave, frieze,
cornice and pediment. Rear elevation similar general character. East elevation
similar but narrower; central doorcase, similar steps and rails. The doorcase
(? late C17) with carved moulded surround, panelled pilasters, carved brackets,
pulvinated frieze, and enriched and curved pediment with enriched tympanum.
4-bay loggia at west end of west front with late C19 1st floor addition. Interior.
Entrance Hall at West end of house with Ionic wall columns and intersecting barrel
vault, dating probably from occupancy of Sir John Fellowes. Library, centre
of South front, with oak bolection moulded panelling and carved door heads.
Oak Par1our, centre East side of house, with similar panelling, overmantel Gibbons
style carving with coat of arms of Sir John Fellowes. Principal door of room
with Ionic columns and pediment, rococo marble mantlepiece and rococo ceiling
both of circa 1760. Painted Parlour, North of this, with bolection moulded panelling
painted with landscapes by Robert Robertson. Blue Parlour, South of Entrance
Hall, with elaborate decorations circa mid C18. Stair Hall to North of Entrance
Hall with carved oak staircase. Panelling to bedrooms and gallery.
Possible traces of the Manor House or Old Farm which occupied the site of Carshalton
House before 1696 exist in a portion of flint and chalk walling recently found
in one of the classroom walls.
Listing NGR: TQ2755164460
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings