History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

6, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Carshalton Central, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.365 / 51°21'53"N

Longitude: -0.1626 / 0°9'45"W

OS Eastings: 528013

OS Northings: 164478

OS Grid: TQ280644

Mapcode National: GBR DD.ZMF

Mapcode Global: VHGRK.4YFH

Entry Name: 6, High Street

Listing Date: 16 March 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1065686

English Heritage Legacy ID: 206731

Location: Sutton, London, SM5

County: London

District: Sutton

Electoral Ward/Division: Carshalton Central

Built-Up Area: Sutton

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Carshalton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Wallington

Listing Text

HIGH STREET
1.
4430
(South Side)
CARSHALTON
No 6
TQ 2864 SW 23/81 16.3.54.
II GV
2.
Two-storey timber-framed building with brick casing and with plastered front
to street. Old tile roof. 2 wings. Probably late C16 North-East - South-West
wing adjoining High Street of 2 and ½ bays. In South front, at upper level,
a 4-light window with 3 diamond shaped mullions. Rear wing of mid to late C17
date comprising a single room on both floors heated by fireplaces at south,end;
external stack of flint and brick, now truncated; original brick nogging to west
wall [English bond] visible internally; through-purlin, collar-and-tie beam,
queen-strut roof. Street front has two 3-light casements on 1st floor, ground
floor projects and has flat lead roof with meat bars and hooks and leaded C19
shop windows. Plain door to right. Extension to left is one storey under flat
lead roof with scrolled wrought-iron brackets. Shop front. Picturesque traditional
Butcher's shop. [See GLC Survey and Drawings.]

The Greyhound Inn, wall to east of the Greyhound, Church of All Saints, North
Churchyard wall and Nos 6 and 12 (Coach and Horses) form a group with Anne Boleyn's
Well, St Mary's and Madeley Cottage in Church Hill and with the following items:
with No 1 High Street and entrance gates to The Grove, with road bridge, Leoni
bridge, culvert and retaining walls to Carshalton Ponds and with Honeywood Lodge
and walls, Honeywood Walk and The Gate House.


Listing NGR: TQ2801364478

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.