History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rear Garden Walls to Numbers 5 to 27 (Odd) (Former Boundary Wall to Carshalton Park)

A Grade II Listed Building in Carshalton Central, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.36 / 51°21'35"N

Longitude: -0.1596 / 0°9'34"W

OS Eastings: 528233

OS Northings: 163930

OS Grid: TQ282639

Mapcode National: GBR F8.0FR

Mapcode Global: VHGRR.52ZS

Entry Name: Rear Garden Walls to Numbers 5 to 27 (Odd) (Former Boundary Wall to Carshalton Park)

Listing Date: 1 March 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1065698

English Heritage Legacy ID: 206674

Location: Sutton, London, SM5

County: London

District: Sutton

Electoral Ward/Division: Carshalton Central

Built-Up Area: Sutton

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Carshalton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Wallington

Listing Text

ASHCOMBE ROAD
1.
4430
(South Side)
CARSHALTON
Rear Garden Walls
to Nos 5 to 27 (odd)
(Former Boundary Wall
to Carshalton Park)
TQ 2863 34/4
II
2.
Early C18; date 1716 carved into a brick pillar at east end; southern boundary
wall to former Carshalton Park. Red brick wall with rounded and battered coping;
plinth; brick pilasters at intervals. To east of No 5 wall continues as south
garden wall to No 32 Woodstock Road (see Woodstock Road, Carshalton). To rear
of Nos 5 and 7 two imposing tall brick pillars with stone capping, easternmost
one with date 1716. Wall broken down for garages to rear of probably Nos 11
and l3. A lower section around rear of No 17 with paler courses of brickwork
added at the top above C18 coping; latter probably of C19 date; square pillar
with stone capping. The magnificent wrought-iron gates flanked by statues of
Diana and Actaeon and formerly in east boundary wall to The Park have been removed
to Planting Fields, Oyster Bay, Baltimore, now owned by New York University.


Listing NGR: TQ2823363930

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.