History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tomb of Captain Samuel Jones and Family, St Mattias

A Grade II Listed Building in Poplar, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5097 / 51°30'34"N

Longitude: -0.0164 / 0°0'59"W

OS Eastings: 537752

OS Northings: 180837

OS Grid: TQ377808

Mapcode National: GBR KZ.LJH

Mapcode Global: VHGR1.NBP0

Entry Name: Tomb of Captain Samuel Jones and Family, St Mattias

Listing Date: 2 September 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1065727

English Heritage Legacy ID: 206553

Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E14

County: London

District: Tower Hamlets

Electoral Ward/Division: Poplar

Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: All Saints Poplar

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Stepney

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:
WOODSTOCK TERRACE
TQ 3780
25/907 St Mattias Poplar
Tomb of Captain Samuel
Jones and family

II GV

Pedestal tomb on stepped base. C1734, designer unknown; restored
during C19 by a statuary named Ellingford of Poplar. Stone. Tall
plinth with projecting curved ends; sides with high relief carved
swags framing inscriptions. Above, a rectangular pedestal
(formerly flanked by standing putti) having on the south side a
carved relief depicting a ship in sail and on the north a
nautical still-life featuring globes, cross-staffs, a caduceus,
cannon and shot, a sextant, flags and a central heraldic shield.
Crowned by addorsed consoles formerly supporting an urn. Monument
formerly surrounded by railings. Captain Samuel Jones
distinguished himself fighting the French in the English Channel
in 1706 and 1707. St Mattias was formerly the east India Company
Chapel and many nautical men were buried in the churchyard.


Listing NGR: TQ3775280837

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.