History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

46 and 48, Copperfield Road E3

A Grade II Listed Building in Mile End, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5187 / 51°31'7"N

Longitude: -0.0357 / 0°2'8"W

OS Eastings: 536384

OS Northings: 181805

OS Grid: TQ363818

Mapcode National: GBR K4.1NY

Mapcode Global: VHGR1.B3G2

Entry Name: 46 and 48, Copperfield Road E3

Listing Date: 11 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1065752

English Heritage Legacy ID: 206464

Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E3

County: London

District: Tower Hamlets

London Borough Ward: Mile End

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Paul Bow Common

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Stepney

Listing Text

1.
4431
TQ 3681 17/1 COPPERFIELD ROAD E3

II Nos 46 and 48

Former Free Ragged Day School, now warehouse. Built as warehouses in early 1870's,
No 46 converted for use as school in 1876, No 48 in 1895. Some alterations.
Yellow brick, painted to No 48. Roof not visible. Three storeys, No 46 of 6 bays,
No 48 of 3.Entrances to second and fifth bays of No 46 and to centre of No 48
which break forward slightly. Paired windows to No 48 and to first and sixth bays
of No 46, except top floor. Segmental treads. Sashes, mainly tripartite to No 46.
Plateglass,Pilaster strips to ends and centre of No 46. Cornice and central
pediment with attached belcote to No 46. Parapet to No 48. Wallcrane to centre
bay of No 48 and one to each of second and fifth bay of No 46, at top floor level.
School provided by Dr Barnardo. Understood to have been one of the largest ragged
schools in London and the last to close, in 1908. Also operated as Factory Girls
Club and Institute, 1877 to 1915.

Listing NGR: TQ3638481805

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.