This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4922 / 51°29'31"N
Longitude: -0.0242 / 0°1'27"W
OS Eastings: 537262
OS Northings: 178875
OS Grid: TQ372788
Mapcode National: GBR K5.QL7
Mapcode Global: VHGR1.JRKG
Entry Name: Formerly St Pauls Presbyterian Church, Now Part of Herbert Brown Lenox Limited Industrial Premises
Listing Date: 27 September 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065817
English Heritage Legacy ID: 206343
Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E14
District: Tower Hamlets
Electoral Ward/Division: Island Gardens
Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Christ Church Isle of Dogs
Church of England Diocese: London
In the entry for:-
West Ferry Road, E14
TQ 3778 (East Side)
27.9.73 St Paul's Presbyterian
The description shall be amended to read:-
Former Presbyterian church. 1859, by T E Knightly. Brown Flemish band
brick with stone and polychromatic brick dressings; gabled slate roof.
One-cell plan with square sanctuary to east end. North Italian Romanesque
style. Gabled west front, of 3 stages, has semi-circular polychromatic
brick arches over central doorway with cushion capitals to engaged stone
shafts, panelled double doors and carved stone tympanum flanked by 2
boarded cast-iron windows; first-storey has continuous arcade of 9 semi-
circular polychromatic brick arches set on stone colonettes with cushion
capitals and moulded bases; panelled stone-coped parapet flanks gabled
upper stage with similar arcade of 5 arches.
Four-bay north and south elevations have semi-circular polychromatic brick
arches, over 4-light cast-iron windows; heavy stepped brick eaves courses;
clerestorey, clad in fish-scale slates, has 3-light windows each with stone
semi-circular arcade set on colonettes with cushion capitals and moulded
bases; one window to south has been removed for inserted mid C20 entry.
Plain extension of 1905 added at right angles to east end. Interior: semi-
circular sanctuary arch set on stone colonettes with inverted volutes to
cushion capitals; stone steps to balcony with panelled front set on cast-
iron columns; 4-bay roof with arch braces built of laminated timber, an
early example of its use. Foundation stone, to right of west door, was
laid by John Scott Prussel - a Scottish shipbuilder who had worked at the
nearby Napier yard on the Great Eastern and other ships; there is a
tradition that St Paul's was built to serve the needs of Scottish
ironworkers brought to work on the Great Eastern.
(Article by R J M Carr in Industrial Archaeology Review, Vol 3 (1981,
1. WEST FERRY ROAD E14
Formerly St Pauls Presbyterian
Church, now part of Herbert
Morris Brown Lenox Ltd.
TQ 3778 30/896
Later C19. Remarkable for use of colour and arcading. Stock brick with red and
blue brick and white stone dressings. Slate roof. Facade of 3 storeys. 3 round
headed arches to ground floor, above, brick band surmounted by 9 bay arcade.
Deeply recessed centre 3 bay windows; flanking and outer blind bays each side,
of single window. Above, shaped string course over panelled, coped blocking
course. 3rd storey of 5 bays width with similar arcading to that of 2nd storey.
Roundel above under shallow gable. Arcaded clerestory at sides of building.
Heavy brick eaves cornice. 4 large round arched windows with iron tracery along
side of building. 1 window space now filled with doors.
Listing NGR: TQ3726278875
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings