This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6464 / 53°38'47"N
Longitude: -1.7958 / 1°47'44"W
OS Eastings: 413594
OS Northings: 416678
OS Grid: SE135166
Mapcode National: GBR HVX8.0L
Mapcode Global: WHCB1.DL2X
Entry Name: Formerly Wentworth School
Listing Date: 10 June 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065918
English Heritage Legacy ID: 422603
Location: Kirklees, HD1
Electoral Ward/Division: Newsome
Built-Up Area: Huddersfield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Huddersfield Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
No 30 (formerly Wentworth
SE 1316 33/1370 School)
Large detached house. 1882 or 3 for George Kirk, iron founder, with 1913 addition.
Pitch faced stone with ashlar dressings. Hipped slate roofs with heavy moulded eaves,
cornice on console brackets. 2 storeys. Entrance front has 6-panel door with etched
glass and semi-circular fanlight. Carved surround, spandrels and keystone, and initials
G K. Large consoles support balustrade over with urn to left and right. To right is 2-storey
canted bay. Beyond this is 1913 addition comprising double arched porte-cochere with
8-light mullioned and transomed oriel bow window to first floor, with good carved
ashlar work to base. The 3-bay garden front has 2-storey canted bay to left, as before,
and French window and sash to right, both pedimented. Two sashes to first floor with
architrave surround and small cornice on console brackets. Stone terrace and stone
balustrade to entrance and garden fronts. Interior is virtually original and intact.
Vestibule has mosaic floor. Entrance hall has tiled marble floor and elaborate plaster
cornice and embossed frieze, fireplace with tiled surround, wooden staircase with
turned balusters and panelled dado. The former dining room has embossed frieze and
ornate plaster cornice and centre piece, with gas-light fittings, fitted bookshelves
and show case and ornate carved wooden fire surround with large mirror. Carved screen
in bay window. Panelled dado may be contemporary with 1913 work. Carved screen on
landing with 2 oval and 4 round lights with painted glass, forms entrance to 1913
billiard hall, with oak panelling, stone arched fireplace and ornate plaster ceiling
with centre light. Washroom has pump action WCs and twin marble basin. In servants
quarters are fitted cupboards, copper lined and stone sinks and 12 bell rings. Listed
as good and complete example of its type.
Listing NGR: SE1359416678
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings