History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School

A Grade II Listed Building in Steeple Aston, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.9305 / 51°55'49"N

Longitude: -1.3104 / 1°18'37"W

OS Eastings: 447512

OS Northings: 226002

OS Grid: SP475260

Mapcode National: GBR 7VD.ZFR

Mapcode Global: VHCWV.7QLY

Entry Name: The Old School

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Last Amended: 26 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1065958

English Heritage Legacy ID: 422544

Location: Steeple Aston, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX25

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Steeple Aston

Built-Up Area: Steeple Aston

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Steeple Aston

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Middle Aston

Listing Text

SP4726, SP4725 (North side)
8/114, 9/114 The Old School
08/12/55 (Formerly listed as Radcliff's

School, now house. Founded 1640, but probably c.1688 for Richard Duckworth;
enlarged 1877. Mixed marlstone and limestone rubble, formerly roughcast, with
limestone-ashlar dressings; Welsh-slate and Stonesfield-slate roofs with
stone-and-brick stacks. Single range with added parallel range and stair wing.
One storey plus attic and single storey. Symmetrical 3-window front of main
range has large 2-light windows with moulded architraves and rectangular
mullions, set below a moulded string which returns around the gable walls and
breaks forward slightly over each window; a central stone plaque with a moulded
surround records the foundation and restoration. Welsh-slated roof has 3 hipped
dormers and stone-based gable stacks. Left gable wall has a deeper window with
transoms, and there is a keyed oval window within a square surround in the
gable; wall returns to the gable wall of the single-storey stone-slated rear
range, which has a similar moulded string and a matching 3-light transomed
window. Right gable wall of main range has a further 2-light transomed window
plus a 3-light C19 stone-mullioned window in the gable. C19 stair wing,
projecting from the right end, has single-light windows with moulded stone
architraves, a plain-architraved entrance, and has a stone bellcote on the
gable; a parapetted section to rear includes a re-set C17 doorway with a Latin
inscription on the lintel. Interior: intersecting chamfered beams to the main
roan. The school was founded by Dr. Samuel Radcliffe, principal of Brasenose
College, and was restored (or probably rebuilt) by Richard Duckworth, rector.
(VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p43; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p787)

Listing NGR: SP4751226002

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.