History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The National Liberal Club

A Grade II* Listed Building in St James's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5061 / 51°30'21"N

Longitude: -0.1239 / 0°7'26"W

OS Eastings: 530300

OS Northings: 180242

OS Grid: TQ303802

Mapcode National: GBR JG.B8

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.SDVS

Entry Name: The National Liberal Club

Listing Date: 5 February 1970

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1066072

English Heritage Legacy ID: 207622

Location: Westminster, London, SW1A

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: St James's

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Martin-in-the-Fields

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text

TQ 3080 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER WHITEHALL COURT SW1
83/60
The National
5.2.70 Liberal Club
GV II*
Club and flats block continuing Whitehall Court. 1884-1887, by Alfred Waterhouse.
Portland stone, slate roofs. Closely related in style and continuing main lines
of Whitehall Court, q.v. but rather more Flemish Renaissance in detail and with
tautly composed late Gothic "belfry" tower to north-east corner. 5 and 6
storeys with gabled pavilions and dormered mansard. Tripartite window groups
separate gabled pavilions, one to Whitehall Court, one splayed to corner and 2 to
Whitehall Place angled front terminating in tower; Embankment Gardens-nave front
with similar gabled pavilions and terrace overlooking gardens; Pilaster mullion-
transom windows, set in loggias on top floors of pavilions which have 3 storey
canted bays. Enriched string courses and stone balconies;shaped pediment gable
flanked by finials; tall stone chimney stacks. The polygonal "belfry" corner tower
has rich Goth decoration and tracery to lofty windows and rises a full storey
above the roof line;finished off with a conical spire. Ornately balustraded stone
terrace above gardens. The interiors are lavishly and completely faced by
Waterhouse in glazed, ornately patterned, terracotta tiling including the columns;
the principal staircase, of marble rising in an unsupported oval sweep trough 3
storeys, is, however, an insertion of 1950-51 by Clyde Young and Engle. Part of
the remarkable Whitehall roofscape.


Listing NGR: TQ3030080242

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.