History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

27-37, Wigmore Street W1

A Grade II Listed Building in Marylebone High Street, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5162 / 51°30'58"N

Longitude: -0.1481 / 0°8'53"W

OS Eastings: 528594

OS Northings: 181320

OS Grid: TQ285813

Mapcode National: GBR BB.XN

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.D521

Entry Name: 27-37, Wigmore Street W1

Listing Date: 10 April 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1066078

English Heritage Legacy ID: 207639

Location: Westminster, London, W1U

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: Marylebone High Street

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: All Souls Langham Place

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 2881 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER WIGMORE STREET W1
56/60 (south side)
10.4.73 Nos 27 to 37 (odd)
GV II
Built as department store (Debenham and Freebody's). Dated 1907 by William Wallace and
James Gibson. Entirely faced with white Doulton Carrara tiles. Vast Baroque revival
design, slate roof. Five storeys. Nineteen windows wide in all, not quite symmetrical
as the 2 end bays next to right hand splayed corner fall outside the symmetry. The
remainder has 3 segmental pedimented breaks, reading as giant aedicules above the first
floor. The ground and mezzanine floors are composed as one, set in giant arcade with
console keys to archivolts, the mezzanine lit by lunettes above plate glass show
windows. The large centre break has main columned entrance, pedimented aedicule niche
to first floor; second and third floors recessed with columns flanking central window,
all framed by rusticated panelled piers with garlanded cartouche caps wing through main
entablature to segmental pedimented attic aedicule with crest of Royal Arms. Behind is
a large, columned aedicule lantern-turret. The outer segmental pedimented breaks are
similar but with lower set pediments surmounted by groups of putti and a blind attic.
The low first floor is channelled with recessed 2 light windows divided by columns.
Upper floors between breaks have windows vertically framed through 2 storeys with keyed
and garlanded archivolts, articulated by Ionic pilasters. Bold modillion cornice and
parapet. Interior retains grand marble clad hall with columns flanking main flight of
marble staircase etc; plasterwork in range of first floor rooms overlooking street by
Ernest Gimson.


Listing NGR: TQ2859481320

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.