History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

New Government Offices (Hm Treasury) and Archway Link with Foreign Office at East End of King Charles Street new Government Offices and Archway Link with Foreign Office at East End of King Charles St

A Grade II* Listed Building in St James's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5018 / 51°30'6"N

Longitude: -0.1291 / 0°7'44"W

OS Eastings: 529956

OS Northings: 179753

OS Grid: TQ299797

Mapcode National: GBR HH.5T

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.QJ42

Entry Name: New Government Offices (Hm Treasury) and Archway Link with Foreign Office at East End of King Charles Street new Government Offices and Archway Link with Foreign Office at East End of King Charles St

Listing Date: 5 February 1970

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1066103

English Heritage Legacy ID: 207602

Location: Westminster, London, SW1H

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: St James's

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Martin-in-the-Fields

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 2979 NE and 3079 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER WHITEHALL SW1
91/6 ;92/28 (West side)
5.2.70 New Government Offices
(HM Treasury)
and Archway Link with
Foreign Office at East End
of King Charles Street
GV II*
Government offices. 1898-1901 by John Brydon, completed with modifications in
1912 by the government architect Sir Henry Tanner. Portland stone with leaded
and slate roofs. A massive, quadrangular, English Baroque revival building
extending through to St. James's Park with central, vast, circular courtyard
(echoing the Jones-Webb Whitehall Palace scheme) entered by triple archways
from side streets on same axis as the archways to Foreign Office. 4 storeys,
with rusticated ground floor and mezzanine on basement and 2 upper storeys
articulated by engaged Corinthian column order, and angle pavilions with
belvedere storeys or 3 tier Baroque cupolas. Symmetrical facade; 17 windows
wide to Whitehall, including one window angle pavilions and 5-bay centrepiece
with tetrastyle pedimented portico centre break; 33-window range to Parliament
Square and Great George Street with angle pavilions and recessed,9-window wide,
centre with tetrastyle portico over triple archway flanked by cupola-pavilions;
4-window extension and lower quadrant return to Park front. Semicircular arched
portal to Whitehall (beneath portico) with flanking columns and pediment.
Recessed glazing bar sashes in pilastered frames with alternating pediments
on main 2nd floor. Coupled columns to portico with carved pediment set
against blind attic and coupled pilasters to angle pavilions surmounted by
belvedere attics with inscribed,Vanbrughian,Venetian windows and coupled
Ionic pilaster order. Tall entablature over mezzanine with blind balustrades
to 2nd floor windows; deep main entablature with modillion bracket cornice and
balustraded parapets. Parliament Square - Great George Street front has
coupled column portico above triple archway with pediment set against attic
which has oculi in flanking sections of the recessed centre; the 3 tier,Wren
inspired cupolas the flanking pavilions have diagonally set rusticated columns
to their main stages; the long ranges between the angle pavilions are not
articulated by the Corinthian order on their upper floors but have the
alternating pedimented 2nd floor windows, 2 of them as Venetian windows with
carved festoon and "linge" enrichments to the windows above; the Corinthian
order reappears in the 4-window west extension. The Park front resembles that
to Whitehall but with 3 storey quadrant corners in place of angle pavilions;
they have engaged Ionic colonnades and echo Scott's adjoining Foreign Office.
At the east end of King Charles Street is a triple archway (contains passage-
way link in its attic to the Foreign Office) with engaged Doric columns and
large scale figure sculpture enrichment by J. R. Mountfield. Balustraded
parapet to basement area, extended out to Storey's Gate, to link with small
stone kiosk and terminating in large corniced pier crowned by an urn. The
main circular courtyard has arcaded ground floor and an engaged Corinthian
order above. The interior has a large, double branching grand staircase; the
reinforced concrete basement at the Park end contains the "War Rooms", Sir
Winston Churchill's flat and office "bunker" during World War II.
Architectural Review; vol 24, 1908 and vol 28, 1910.


Listing NGR: TQ2995679753

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.