History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

28-32, Welbeck Street W1

A Grade II Listed Building in Marylebone High Street, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5185 / 51°31'6"N

Longitude: -0.1495 / 0°8'58"W

OS Eastings: 528489

OS Northings: 181571

OS Grid: TQ284815

Mapcode National: GBR B9.LV

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.C399

Entry Name: 28-32, Welbeck Street W1

Listing Date: 5 February 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1066114

English Heritage Legacy ID: 207530

Location: Westminster, London, W1G

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: Marylebone High Street

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Marylebone

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 2881 NW and NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER WELBECK STREET,Wl
44/40; 45/98 (East side)
5.2.70 Nos 28 to 32 (consec)
G.V. II
Terraced town houses, c1770-80 Portland Estate development, probably by John
White. Stock brick with channelled or rusticated stucco ground floors; slate
roofs. 4 storeys and basement. 3-window wide fronts. Doorways to right at Nos
31 and 32, to left at No 28 and adjoining to Nos 29 and 30; semicircular arched
to Nos 29 to 31 and square headed to Nos 28 and 32; No 28 has Pompeian fluted
Doric column doorcase with enriched frieze and mutule cornice; panelled doors
with side lights (with delicate oval glazing pattern to No 30)in fluted or
moulded jambs and doorheads under patterned fanlights. Recesed sashes, those on
ground floor of No 28 with vermiculated rustications and its 1st floor windows
segmental headed with stucco architraves and keystones, the rest under flat
gauged arches to upper floors. Plat band over ground floor; 2nd floor sill band
to Nos 28 to 30 and 3rd floor sill course to No 30; parapets with copings. 1st
floor cast iron early to mid C19 balconies of geometric and enriched patterns,
bombé at No 28 and No 31. Plumbed spike or urn finialed area railings. Some
good interior features with plasterwork friezes and some ceilings, geometrical
staircases with wrought iron balustrades; etc. No 32 was Russian Embassy in the
mid C19 and for this function a Russian Orthodox chapel was added to the rear
by James Thomson in 1872, domed with Russo-Byzantine ornament and columns on
Greek cross plan.


Listing NGR: TQ2848681579

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.