This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5048 / 51°30'17"N
Longitude: -0.1398 / 0°8'23"W
OS Eastings: 529203
OS Northings: 180070
OS Grid: TQ292800
Mapcode National: GBR DG.SR
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.JFGR
Entry Name: Bridgewater House
Listing Date: 24 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1066255
English Heritage Legacy ID: 209213
Location: Westminster, London, SW1A
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Piccadilly
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2980 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER CLEVELAND ROW SW1
No 14 (Bridgewater House)
Vast town mansion. Final design 1845 by Sir Charles Barry, completed
1854 for Lord Ellesmere. Bath stone, slate roof. A massive palazzo
design developing from the architect's Reform Club. 3 storeys and
basement to mansion with single storey coach house and 5 storey service
wing on right hand east side within same overall height. 9 bays wide
with vermiculated quoins. The ground floor has smooth rustication and
large central porch of coupled Tuscan columns with vermiculated banding.
Plain ground floor sash windows with semicircular arches; 1st floor
piano nobile windows with bracketed segmental pediments and blind
balcony balustrades. Plain square 2nd floor windows. Enriched bands
at 1st and 2nd floor levels, bracketed entablature and balustraded
parapet with large carved urns; corniced and rusticated chimney stacks.
Elevation to Green Park of 7 bays in the rhythm 1:5:1, the single outer
bays having wide Venetian windows on the piano nobile. On east side
the coach house blind wall has rusticated quoins, pilasters dividing
3 panels and balustraded ball finialed parapet and is linked to service
wing along Little St James Street by screen wall with double gates to
yard flanked by gate piers with cast iron lamp standards. The service
wing is stucco faced with rusticated quoins. Glazing bar sash windows,
one on 3rd floor with bracketed balcony and canopy. Bracketed crowning
cornice with blocking and corniced turrets to angles with arches. Taller
belvedere to rear with coupled windows, corner turrets and balustrades.
Grand and freely handled High Renaissance style interior of which the
principal feature is the marble lined 2 storey top lit hall arcaded on
both floors, little altered except for the picture gallery. Restored
after war damage and adapted for office use.
London Vol I N Pevsner;
Survey of London; vol XXX
Listing NGR: TQ2920380070
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings