This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5091 / 51°30'32"N
Longitude: -0.1403 / 0°8'25"W
OS Eastings: 529156
OS Northings: 180551
OS Grid: TQ291805
Mapcode National: GBR DF.N5
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.JB6F
Entry Name: 1-72, BURLINGTON ARCADE W1 (See details for further address information)
Listing Date: 24 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1066338
English Heritage Legacy ID: 208937
Location: Westminster, London, W1J
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: West End
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Piccadilly
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2980 NW and SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER BURLINGTON ARCADE W1
Nos 1 to 72 (consec.)
24.2.58 including No 51 Piccadilly
Shopping arcade. 1818-19 by Samuel Ware, the Piccadilly elevation 1st
floor loggia added by Beresford Pike in 1911 and Ware's triple arched
entrance altered by same architect in 1931. Burlington Gardens
elevation replaced in 1937. The arcade roof is supported by arches
carrying a tent-like ceiling with glazed roof-lights, the arches
dividing the arcade into bays of 2 shops articulated by projecting
and recessed display windows with entablatures and tripartite sashed
lights to 1st floor. To Piccadilly Beresford Pike added the stone
faced 1st floor arcaded loggia with parapet and then rebuilt the
large camber arched entrance in an Edwardian-Baroque manner in 1931.
To Burlington Gardens, Ware's elevation was replaced by the present
plain Portland stone faced parapeted front (with Lord Chesham's
coat of arms) over a camber arched opening on low pylons, by E.
Bates and W. G. Sinning. Badly damaged in 1940, the Arcade was
restored in 1954.
Listing NGR: TQ2915680551
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings