History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Annuciation

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bryanston and Dorset Square, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5144 / 51°30'51"N

Longitude: -0.1586 / 0°9'30"W

OS Eastings: 527873

OS Northings: 181105

OS Grid: TQ278811

Mapcode National: GBR 8C.K9

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.66JD

Entry Name: Church of the Annuciation

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1066358

English Heritage Legacy ID: 208886

Location: Westminster, London, W1H

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: Bryanston and Dorset Square

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: The Annunciation Bryanston Street

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 2781 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER BRYANSTON STREET, W1
54/79
10.9.54 Church of the Annunciation

G.V. II*

Church. 1912-13, by Sir Walter Tapper. Red brick with stone dressings,
slate roof. Late Gothic Revival with strong vertical emphasis; bold
simplicity in balance of blind wall place to windows and restrained use of
carved ornament. Hall nave and chancel of 8 bays with north aisle. The
south Bryanston Street front has 2 storey stone faced porch at west end
with figure sculpture in niches above shafted jamb portal. The porch
projects level with the bold gabled buttresses dividing the 8 bays which
are blind up to the tall clerestory lit by 4-light reticulated tracery
windows; parapet with weathered coping. The east gable end to Old Quebec
Street is flanked by similar buttresses with 2 buttresses under large east
window of individual, crisply carved, reticulated tracery pattern; above
the aisle parapet a flying buttress springs from right hand gabled bell
tower with vestry entrance at its foot. Railings to street run between
buttress piers with gable caps. Steep pitched roof with slender,
copper-clad fleche with gablets to centre of ridge. Vaulted interior has
lofty, slender shafted arcade and triforium on north side; gilt altar by
Bewsey.


Listing NGR: TQ2787381105

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.