History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Drinking Fountain South East of Zoological Gardens

A Grade II Listed Building in Regent's Park, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5328 / 51°31'58"N

Longitude: -0.1506 / 0°9'2"W

OS Eastings: 528373

OS Northings: 183168

OS Grid: TQ283831

Mapcode National: GBR B4.CP

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.BQQS

Entry Name: Drinking Fountain South East of Zoological Gardens

Listing Date: 5 February 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1066376

English Heritage Legacy ID: 208837

Location: Camden, London, NW1

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: Regent's Park

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Mary Magdalene Munster Sq.

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Highgate

Listing Text

The entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25 July 2017.


TQ 2883 SW

REGENT'S PARK, NW1
BROAD WALK

Drinking fountain south east of Zoological Gardens

5.2.70

GV
II

Drinking fountain. 1896. Designed by Robert Keirle, architect
to The Metropolitan Free Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough
Association. For Sir Cowasjee Jehangir. White Sicilian marble,
pink and grey Aberdeen granite. Gothic design set on octagonal
base of 2 steps.
Rectangular plinth with large D-shaped faceted basins on
paired colonnettes to each face; flanked on each face by
rectangular standing blocks for children. Rectangular fountain
with paired colonnettes at angles supporting star enriched
frieze and gabled spire with pinnacles of small spires at
angles. Crocketed gables on 3 faces contain carved busts of
the donor, the Prince Consort and Queen Victoria; the 4th once
carried a clock. Each face with enriched pointed arch on
half-length pilasters flanking the water spout set in
geometrically patterned carved marble.
HISTORICAL NOTE: known as the Parsee fountain after its
benefactor, the monument was presented as a token of gratitude
to the people of England for the protection enjoyed by him and
his countrymen under British rule in India. The fountain cost
ยป1,400 and was opened by Princess Mary, Duchess of Teck.
Features in the Zoological Gardens are listed in the LB of Westminster.

Listing NGR: TQ2837383168


The asset was previously listed twice also under London Borough of Camden at List entry 1272351. This entry was removed from the List on 25 July 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.