History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Somerton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.9561 / 51°57'22"N

Longitude: -1.2784 / 1°16'42"W

OS Eastings: 449687

OS Northings: 228873

OS Grid: SP496288

Mapcode National: GBR 7V8.7MC

Mapcode Global: VHCWV.S3K8

Entry Name: The Old School House

Listing Date: 26 November 1951

Last Amended: 26 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1066587

English Heritage Legacy ID: 422375

Location: Somerton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX25

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Somerton

Built-Up Area: Somerton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Somerton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Middle Aston

Listing Text

SP42NE (South side)
2/92 The Old School House
26/11/51 (Formerly listed as School)
- II

School and schoolhouse, now house. Late C16, possibly incorporating earlier
elements, re-modelled and extended mid C18 and late C19/early C20. Limestone
rubble with wooden lintels; brick; concrete plain-tile and Welsh-slate roofs
with stone and brick stacks. 3-unit lobby-entry plan, with later additions, and
schoolroom wing to rear. 2 storeys plus attic. 3-window front has casements of
2, 3 and 3 lights to both floors, and has the entrance between bays 2 and 3;
there are several indications of early alteration including a blocked doorway in
bay one. Both gables have brick stacks, and the ridge stack in line with the
entrance has 2 rebuilt diagonal brick shafts on a rubble base. Schoolroom wing
returns from right end and has mostly large C19 stone-mullioned windows, but
retains part of an ovolo-moulded frame in a small window to a former first
floor. Shallow-pitched slate roof has a central ventilator with a weathervane. A
lower C19 wing projecting to the right has a wooden bellcote. A C19/early C20
range, partly infilling the angle, is in brick over a rubble ground floor.
Interior: Schoolroom has a 7-light wooden ovolo-moulded mullioned-and-transomed
window, now internal. House range contains a large open fireplace with a
stop-chamfered cambered bressumer, and has some stop-chamfered spine and lateral
beans; C18 display cupboard with serpentine shelves; winder stair; C18 roof with
queen-post trusses. The school was founded in 1580 by Thomas Fermor and may have
incorporated parts of the castle chapel, reputed to have been on the site.
(VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol VI, p290; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p768)

Listing NGR: SP4968728873

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.