History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

5, Hamilton Place W1

A Grade II* Listed Building in West End, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5044 / 51°30'15"N

Longitude: -0.1505 / 0°9'1"W

OS Eastings: 528459

OS Northings: 180005

OS Grid: TQ284800

Mapcode National: GBR BG.CW

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.BGS2

Entry Name: 5, Hamilton Place W1

Listing Date: 2 October 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1066716

English Heritage Legacy ID: 210019

Location: Westminster, London, W1J

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: West End

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St George, Hanover Square

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 2879 NW and 2880 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER HAMILTON PLACE, Wl
79/57 ; 88/5
2.10.69 No. 5
II*
End of terrace town mansion. Built as part of an 1807-10 group of
houses facing the Park, probably by Thomas Leverton, but drastically
remodelled 1879-81 by S.R. Rogers of Messrs. William Cubitt for
Leopold de Rothschild. Portland stone casing, slate roof. A rich
Venetian Renaissance architectural recasing. 4 storeys, basement and
dormered mansard. 4 windows wide with full height 3-window bows on
both fronts and bold 2- storey projection on Park Lane and north
elevations forming terrace to 2nd floor; single storey one window bay
flanking bow on entrance front. The entrance in porch to left hand
integrated in Ionic order articulating semicircular arched ground
floor windows. Superimposed sequence of orders articulating 1st and
2nd floor archivolt arched windows, with Composite over Corinthian,
and camber headed lugged architrave windows to 3rd floor. Enriched
entablature and balustrade to 1st floor, crowning cornice and
balustraded parapet. All the orders engaged on entrance and Park Lane
fronts but free standing and coupled columns and pilasters appear on
north elevation. Intricately scrolled iron guards to 1st floor
windows on all three elevations. Elaborate cast iron area railings.
Interior, decorated by the firm of "John Jackson, Mellier, Forsythe"
in a rich and ecletic variety of fin de siecle Louis XV and
Renaissance taste of very fine workmanship, top lit stair compartment
having enriched cut string to oak stairs with intricately scrolled
balustrade and the walls panelled in Regence - Louis XV style
boiseries with tapestry insets, library woodwork made in Florence by
Chevalier Rinaldo Barbetti, French Renaissance style panelling and
plasterwork in ground floor front room etc.


Listing NGR: TQ2846380007

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.