This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5085 / 51°30'30"N
Longitude: -0.1426 / 0°8'33"W
OS Eastings: 528998
OS Northings: 180474
OS Grid: TQ289804
Mapcode National: GBR DF.4F
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.GBZY
Entry Name: Oxford University Press
Listing Date: 24 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1066901
English Heritage Legacy ID: 209509
Location: Westminster, London, W1S
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: West End
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George, Hanover Square
Church of England Diocese: London
CITY OF WESTMINSTER DOVER STREET, W1
81/28 No 37 (Oxford University
In the description the date '1772' shall be amended to read; ' 1772, and altered
1909-22 by Smith and Brewer'.
The following shall be added to the end of the description;
'and decorative oeil-de-boeuf window to rear of upper floor. Smith and Brewer
added two storeys and designed panelling etc. to arched entrance corridor.
TQ 2980 SW, 2880 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER DOVER STREET Wl
80/78 ; 81/28
No 37 (Oxford University
Terraced town house. 1772. By Sir Robert Taylor as the West End
residence of the Bishop of Ely. Portland stone, slate roof. Markedly
Palladian composition. 3 storeys (with lofty piano nobile),
basement and dormered mansard. 3 windows wide. Rusticated ground
floor with rocky vermiculation to piers and arches of arcaded open-
ings including entrance to right with panelled studded door, side
lights and fanlight. The ground floor sash windows are semicircular
arched within the arcade. The 1st floor windows are set in Corinthian
columned and pedimented aedicules with blind balustrades. Above them
are placed 2 paterae and a central medallion with bishop's mitre;
square attic windows - all sashes revealed with glazing bars. Plat
band over ground floor and balustraded parapet over modillion cornice.
Fine cast iron area railings, the standards surmounted by seated lions
to the designs of Alfred Stevens, 1852. Interior much altered but
retains Taylor's dining room - now the front hall - with plaster
ceiling and chimney piece, the glazed dome over the former stairwell
which originally had an apsed end, part of the original S pattern
wrought iron staircase balustrade including the altered balcony,
richly carved doorcases, Venetian window with carved columns etc.
Listing NGR: TQ2899880474
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings