This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3037 / 52°18'13"N
Longitude: -0.9854 / 0°59'7"W
OS Eastings: 469277
OS Northings: 267774
OS Grid: SP692677
Mapcode National: GBR 9T1.HPQ
Mapcode Global: VHDRQ.VCX9
Entry Name: Holdenby House
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067053
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360205
Location: Holdenby, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: Holdenby
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: East Haddon and Holdenby St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
7/216 Holdenby House
Country house. c.1583 for Sir Christopher Hatton rebuilt 1873-5 by R.H.
Carpenter and W. Slater and extended 1887-8 by W.E. Mills. Squared coursed
lias with ashlar dressings and slate roof. U-shaped plan. South front is 2
storeys with attic. 8-window range of 2- and 4-light stone mullions with
transoms. Windows 3, 4 and 5 a fragment of Holdenby Palace of 1583; 2 window
ranges to left, set back are c.1887-8, remainder mainly 1873-5. Projecting
porch has double pilasters flanking arched entrance at ground floor and
detached twin columns at first floor flanking a 3-light stone mullion window,
reputedly from Holdenby Palace and re-erected from elsewhere. Ashlar gable
parapets and dormers with pediments. Tall circular ashlar stacks with linked
caps some probably c.1583. Right gable has C16 blocked opening with 4-centred
head. North front with projecting wings is mainly C19 with central porch
similar to that on the south front. Carriage arch datestone 1659 and walls
one attached. Interior: Entrance hall in centre of north front has C19
panelling and marble fireplace, probably c.1583 structure; billiard room and
boudoir to left of entrance have C19 moulded cornices; marble fireplace in
the boudoir is decorated with musical instruments. Ball-room in south front
has large marble fireplace with swags of grapes, this room incorporates part
of original structure. Garden hall, south front has C19 stair with turned
balustrade. Library c.1583 has original panelling re-set; dining room to left
of library has late C19 moulded cornice and fireplace. Holdenby Palace was
demolished in 1651 by Captain Adam Baynes with the exception of part of the
offices incorporated into the present house in 1873. Two gate arches also
remain to the east.
(Buildings of England : Northamptonshire, p.261)
Surrounding Site scheduled as ancient monument.
Listing NGR: SP6927767774
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings