This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.348 / 52°20'52"N
Longitude: -1.0089 / 1°0'32"W
OS Eastings: 467606
OS Northings: 272681
OS Grid: SP676726
Mapcode National: GBR 9SF.PQZ
Mapcode Global: VHDRJ.G7GT
Entry Name: Church of St Ethelreda
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067072
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360146
Location: Guilsborough, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: Guilsborough
Built-Up Area: Guilsborough
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Guilsborough
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP76SE GUILSBOROUGH COTON ROAD
3/157 Church of St. Ethelreda
Church, C14, C17 and C19. Random coursed lias and limestone with ashlar
dressings, and lead roof. Aisled nave. Chancel and west tower. Chancel,
south elevation 2-window range of two 2-light square headed windows, north
elevation similar. East window, 3-light with reticulated tracery shallow
gabled roof with ashlar parapet. South aisle, 2-window range of 3-light
square-headed windows with similar east and west windows. Porch between
windows with 4-centred arched doorway probably C19. Ribbed and studded door.
North aisle similar with north porch, both with ashlar parapets. The windows
generally have been restored C19. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of
single-light windows with flat arch heads possibly from C17 restoration.
Shallow-pitched roof with ashlar parapet.
West tower of 3 stages with angle 3-stage buttresses in first 2 stages. Double
lancet C14 bell chamber openings on each face of third stage. Broach
spire dated 1618 of limestone ashlar 2 stages of lucarnes on each facade.
Interior: Ribbed and boarded ceiling to chancel with carved bosses. Hollow
double chamfered chancel arch with fleurons in the capitals. 4 bay nave arcade
of double-chamfered arches supported on octagonal piers, carved animal heads
at the spanning of each arch. North clerestory windows have quadripartite
glazing bars. C19 king-post roof retaining the tie beams of an earlier
roof with carved bosses and corbels representing the 7 Ages of Man.
Stained glass: All chancel windows by Morris and Burne-Jones. South aisle east
and south-east window by Morris and Co and north aisle east window by Burlison
and Grylls 1894. Reredos and panelling to chancel, gothic motifs of 1846.
Pews 1815, some box pews in north aisle.
(Buildings of England : Northamptonshire 1973 p.243).
Listing NGR: SP6760672681
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings