History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Grammar School

A Grade II Listed Building in Guilsborough, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.3506 / 52°21'2"N

Longitude: -1.0087 / 1°0'31"W

OS Eastings: 467615

OS Northings: 272961

OS Grid: SP676729

Mapcode National: GBR 9SF.PS8

Mapcode Global: VHDRJ.G5LW

Entry Name: The Old Grammar School

Listing Date: 2 November 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067073

English Heritage Legacy ID: 360149

Location: Guilsborough, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry

Civil Parish: Guilsborough

Built-Up Area: Guilsborough

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Guilsborough

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(East side)
3/160 Nos.1,2,3,4 and 5 (The Old
02/11/54 Grammar School)

- II

School now 5 houses. c.1688, founded by John Langham of Cottesbrooke. Lias
ashlar with stone slate roof. Main block of south facade originally school
room and dormitory of 2 storeys with attic and cellar. 4-window range the
left hand bay breaking forward to form a gabled two storey porch with mezzanine
and attic has semi circular arched entrance with oval window returns. C19
plank door with stop hinges and stone flight below. 3-light stone mullioned
windows with cross trasomes and C20 diamond leaded panes. Ashlar gable
parapets and kneelers. Brick stacks at ends. Sundial above entrance dated
1821 flanked by single light mezzanine winders. Similar late C17 masters
house to left of entrance of single storey with attic of 3-window range with
similar stone mullions. Ashlar gable parapet and kneelers, central brick
stack. Ashlar string course between ground and first floor throughout.
Similar flanking wings to rear with central projecting wing has mainly C20
casement windows. Interior: C20 remodelling to form 5 houses. Some re-set
chamfered fireplace lintels.
(Buildings of England : Northamptonshire p.243).

Listing NGR: SP6761572961

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.