This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3402 / 52°20'24"N
Longitude: -0.9647 / 0°57'52"W
OS Eastings: 470632
OS Northings: 271847
OS Grid: SP706718
Mapcode National: GBR BV0.8XW
Mapcode Global: VHDRK.7FCW
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067105
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360130
Location: Creaton, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: Creaton
Built-Up Area: Creaton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Great Creaton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP77SW CREATON VIOLET LANE
Church of St. Michael
Church. Late C12, C13, C19. Squared coursed lias with lead roof. Nave,
South aisle, Chancel and West tower. Chancel, plain with string courses and
clasped buttresses at corners. C19 east window with panel tracery. Organ
chamber projection to north c.1888 with C13 lancet has centre transom with
quatrefoil window above, both reset. Gabled roof with plain parapets and
finial at apex. Clasped buttresses at north west corner. Nave similar with
2-light reticulated window on north side. North porch with late C12 door
opening has single shafts with water leaf capital and steeply pointed arch.
Gabled roof with ashlar moulded parapet. South aisle added in 1856, 3-window
range of 2-light windows with reticulated tracery. Clasped buttresses at
corners. East window, round with trefoiled tracery. West tower: 4 unequal
stages. Clasped buttresses. 2-light window with retriculated tracery to each
face of third stage. Plain parapet with short pinnacles. Interior: Nave
has 3-bay arcade with double chamfered arches and octagonal piers, dating
from 1856 extension. C14 triple chamfered tower arch. C19 painted
alter with triptych reredos flanked by C19 wall painting of St. Peter and St.
Paul. Stained glass - C19 to east window and 2 south aisle windows, remnant of
early stained glass in north nave window. Jacobean panelled pulpit also rail
with turned balusters to belfy, probably originally a communion rail. C19
chancel screen. Monuments: Plain marble tablet 1849 to Rev. McCormick and
late C19 tablet to Crow family both in chancel.
(Buildings of England : Northamptonshire p.232).
Listing NGR: SP7063271847
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings