This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1385 / 51°8'18"N
Longitude: -0.4423 / 0°26'32"W
OS Eastings: 509076
OS Northings: 138843
OS Grid: TQ090388
Mapcode National: GBR GG6.H0Y
Mapcode Global: VHFW3.9N13
Entry Name: Oldhouse
Listing Date: 17 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067135
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473135
Location: Ewhurst, Waverley, Surrey, GU6
Civil Parish: Ewhurst
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Ewhurst
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 03 NE EWHURST EWHURST GREEN
Hall house. Probably second half C15; floor and chimney inserted early C17; (south-west) wing added to rear left probably C17; C16 barn, probably re-located, forms (north-west) wing, parallel to hall house; the whole much altered and a north-east wing added, so forming a courtyard plan, c 1928 for John Horniman. Timber-framed with infill of brick and galleted stone; also squared stone brought to course; plain tile roofs, mostly hipped; brick chimneys; wooden windows of c 1928 have mullions and transoms and leaded casements; attic windows have hipped tile roofs; c1928 wing is of weatherboard on brick plinth with weatherboarded gablets to attic dormers. Single-storey former barn, 2-storey former hall house, the rest of one storey with attic. South-east elevation: on right are 2 bays of the former hall house with side-outshut on right; the rear wall has exposed original timber-framing comprising large square panels, wall-posts, and large arched braces. C 1928 section on left has colonnaded glazed arcade to ground floor. North-west elevation: former barn of4 bays has rubblestone plinth and exposed timber frame with plates, wall-posts, studs, mid-rail and arched braces; hipped roof with gablets; quasi mid-strey, the cart-entrance replaced by stone-quoined brick wall and large external stack with blue-brick diapering. The north-east wing has pent porch and Diocletion window to north gable.
Interior: former hall house: in left bay, deeply-moulded internal jetty-beam and posts, moulded C17 inglenook bressumer, spine-beam and joists; in right bay, plainer C17 spine-beam and joists and inglenook fireplace; on lst floor, former fireplace bressumers, cambered tie-beams supporting crown-posts arch-braced to chamfered collar purlin, collared rafters; sooted rafters in roof Former barn: end walls apparently re-built, but original framing includes jowelled wall-posts, rails, arched braces to wall-plates and tie-beams, crown-post roof trusses with the crown-posts arch-braced down to the tie-beams and up to the collar purlin, collared rafters. South-west wing: Cl7-style timbers, including crossbeams to ground floor, wall-plate, and roof trusses with staggered purlins and wind-braces.
The building incorporates the remains of a high~quality C15 house with good-quality C17 alterations.
The Old House, Ewhurst Green, Domestic Buildings Research Group (Surrey), Report No 3757,1988. The Old House Barn/Billiard Poom, Ewhurst Green, Domestic Buildings Research Group (Surrey), Report No 3794,1988.
Listing NGR: TQ0907638843
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings