This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3641 / 50°21'50"N
Longitude: -4.1369 / 4°8'12"W
OS Eastings: 248114
OS Northings: 53763
OS Grid: SX481537
Mapcode National: GBR RC7.60
Mapcode Global: FRA 2872.L5L
Entry Name: Royal Citadel Great Store
Listing Date: 8 July 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067144
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473144
Location: Plymouth, PL1
County: City of Plymouth
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter and the Waterfront
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX4853NW THE BARBICAN
740-1/67/872 Royal Citadel: Great Store
Storehouse, later barracks, now store and offices. 1667-75,
for the Board of Ordnance, converted to barracks 1844.
MATERIALS: Plymouth limestone rubble with granite drip courses
and parapet coping; single deep slate roof with coped gables
and plain parapets replacing what was originally 2 parallel
roofs with a central valley; rendered stacks over the cross
PLAN: large double-depth plan, originally with central
entrance; later single-storey carriage house on the left.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; 6-window 1st-floor range plus central
blocked former loading hatch fitted with clock. Wide central
C16 granite 4-centred arched doorway with carved spandrels and
square hoodmould now blocked as are the 1st and 2nd-floor
openings above, the top opening the parapet. Doorways at far
left and right have flat arches, both probably inserted c1844;
the other openings are spanned by rendered probable brick
arches and fitted with late C19 or C20 horned sashes. There is
much evidence of old alteration to the front wall, the other
walls are rendered.
INTERIOR: stair halls at left and right have c1844
cantilevered granite staircases with wrought-iron balustrades;
spine wall with C17 timber framing surviving behind late C20
HISTORY: a major Ordnance Board warehouse for one of the
country's key edefensive points, larger and predating
comparable stores in the Morice Ordnance Wharf, Plymouth. As a
converted barracks, it represents the most common permanent
military accommodation provided in England before the
construction of barracks at the end of the C18. A very rare
survival in a national context of an early military building,
in this case associated with the most outstanding example of a
C17 fort in Britain, designed by Sir Bernard de Gomme.
(Woodward FW: Plymouth's Defences: Devon: 1990-: 9; Woodward
FW: Citadel: Devon: 1987-; Saunders A: Fortress Britain:
Listing NGR: SX4811453763
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings