This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4036 / 53°24'12"N
Longitude: -2.155 / 2°9'18"W
OS Eastings: 389790
OS Northings: 389648
OS Grid: SJ897896
Mapcode National: GBR FYD2.7M
Mapcode Global: WHB9W.VQZ4
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Thomas
Listing Date: 14 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067160
English Heritage Legacy ID: 210875
Location: Stockport, SK1
Electoral Ward/Division: Brinnington and Central
Built-Up Area: Stockport
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Stockport St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Chester
701/6/16 ST THOMAS'S PLACE
14-MAY-52 (Centre of)
PARISH CHURCH OF ST THOMAS
1822-5, by George Basevi (his only surviving Commissioners church). The grandest classical church in the Manchester region and the only Commissioners church of the 1st grant in Cheshire. Built under the Million pound act of 1818 at a cost of £15,000. Design has affinities with Hawksmoor's St Alphage, Greenwich. Ashlar. Nave of 4 bays, aisles, north and south porches, lofty west tower rising to clock stage and cupola. The east end, formerly the main entrance front, has a giant hexastyle Ionic portico, with pediment. Notable interior with Corinthian colonnade over the galleries. Ionic altar-piece. The chancel was remodelled in l890 by Medland Taylor and the original seating has been replaced.
Listing NGR: SJ8979289647
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings