History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Thomas Hospital (Original Building with the Rear Wing in the Courtyard)

A Grade II Listed Building in Stockport, Stockport

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4018 / 53°24'6"N

Longitude: -2.1604 / 2°9'37"W

OS Eastings: 389435

OS Northings: 389457

OS Grid: SJ894894

Mapcode National: GBR FYC3.28

Mapcode Global: WHB9W.SRGG

Entry Name: St Thomas Hospital (Original Building with the Rear Wing in the Courtyard)

Listing Date: 10 March 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067161

English Heritage Legacy ID: 210877

Location: Stockport, SK3

County: Stockport

Electoral Ward/Division: Brinnington and Central

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Stockport

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Stockport St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Stockport

Listing Text

1.
5086
SJ 8989
10/181

SHAW HEATH
(North-East Side)
St Thomas Hospital
(original building with the
rear wing in the Courtyard)

II

2.
Formerly the workhouse. 1841, by Bowman. 2 storeys in brick, now rendered,
with rusticated quoins. Welsh slate roof. String cornice. Ends project,
each with 1 hung sash window with glazing bars over double door of 4 panels
beneath rectangular fanlight of 4 panels in doorway with plain pilasters with
flat hood on consoles. The centre has 1-3-1 windows, hung sashes with glazing
bars, the outer ones narrow. Chamfered stone band between storeys. 2 windows
to ground floor without glazing bars flank modern door beneath rectangular
fanlight with narrow flanking lights beneath shallow pediment on long consoles.
3 steps. Plinth.
Rear wing in courtyard of 4 and 3 storeys in red brick with Welsh slate roof.
End pavilions of 3 windows with links of 3 storeys and 6 windows (some blocked)
then block of 4 storeys and 3 windows, 1 window and 3 storeys, to canted centre
block of 1-3-1 windows, with clock and campanile above with paired pilasters
and lead cupola.

Listing NGR: SJ8943589457

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.