History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Joseph

A Grade II Listed Building in Brinnington and Central, Stockport

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4096 / 53°24'34"N

Longitude: -2.1578 / 2°9'27"W

OS Eastings: 389609

OS Northings: 390315

OS Grid: SJ896903

Mapcode National: GBR FYC0.NH

Mapcode Global: WHB9W.TKPJ

Entry Name: Church of St Joseph

Listing Date: 16 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067167

English Heritage Legacy ID: 210892

Location: Stockport, SK1

County: Stockport

Electoral Ward/Division: Brinnington and Central

Built-Up Area: Stockport

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Stockport St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Stockport

Listing Text

TATTON STREET

SJ 89 SE, SP/39 0/39

CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH

II

Roman Catholic church. 1861-2 by Matthew Ellison Hadfield of Sheffield, architect,
Messrs J Robinson of Hyde, Cheshire, builders. Hammer-dressed Yorkshire grit-stone,
Hollington stone dressings, slate roofs. Basilican plan: nave and clerestory, three
sided apse, aisles and south side base of tower, 2-storey sacristy. Nave and apse
under one roof pitch. Simplified High Victorian gothic, early decorated details
"of an English type" (Builder). Liturgical west front has two lancets flanking ogee
headed door under pitched gable with crockets. Two 3-light geometric tracery
windows above, cinquefoil roundel in gable. 3-light tracery clerestory and apse
windows, segmental tracery aisle liturgical east windows. INTERIOR: 5-bay nave
arcades, Derbyshire marble bases, Yorkshire stone shafts and capitals, simplified
chamfered arches. Arched braced panelled nave roof. Chancel arch reduced to
doubled arched braces with quatrefoil panelling, set on stone corbel. Exposed
raftered aisle roofs. Original built-in confessionals extended through aisle walls
under traceried windows. West gallery. High altar and chancel furniture as
memorial to 1914-1918 war dead. East window, stained, 1882. Design heavily
influenced by Hadfield's former partner George Goldie and by the mid-century re-
action against A W N Pugin's planning and liturgical principles: "arrange(d).. so
that the greatest possible space shall be given up for the use of the congregat-
ion with the facility for seeing and hearing and abundance of light": Builder,
March 30, 1862, p 216. Centenary Record, Diocese of Shrewsbury, 1851-1951, (1951,
pp 91-92.


Listing NGR: SJ8960990315

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.