This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4109 / 53°24'39"N
Longitude: -2.1576 / 2°9'27"W
OS Eastings: 389619
OS Northings: 390470
OS Grid: SJ896904
Mapcode National: GBR FXCZ.PZ
Mapcode Global: WHB9W.TJRG
Entry Name: 10-12 Little Underbank
Listing Date: 10 March 1975
Last Amended: 21 November 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067179
English Heritage Legacy ID: 210831
Location: Stockport, SK1
Electoral Ward/Division: Brinnington and Central
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Stockport
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Stockport St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chester
10-12 Little Underbank is a late C18/early C19 urban property with a later-C19 public house attached
PLAN: Rectangular with narrow public house in left-hand bay.
EXTERIOR: Three storeys with moulded eaves cornice. Ground floor to left (No.12, The Queen's Head) has original multi-paned window with Gothick glazing and a similar rectangular fanlight over the doorcase to the right, with a six-panelled door. No.10a/10 has a modern shop front. On the first floor are four irregularly spaced windows. That to No.12 is a wide eight-over-eight pane sash with gauged brick lintel and stone sill, whilst the three windows to No.10a/10 are narrower with cornices and casements of a later date. The second floor of No.12 has a similar four-over-eight pane sash, and No.10a/10 has two similar, though shorter, casements.
INTERIOR: No.12 (the Queen's Head) has a long narrow plan with an altered later-C19 bar with an original spirits fountain. The L-shaped public bar has fixed seating with matchboard backs. A matchboard partition to the rear separates a small Snug with fixed seating to the left and a small men's lavatory to the right, and a stair with stone steps. At the back is a parlour with fixed upholstered seating and rectangular top light framed by heavy moulded plasterwork.
No.10a/10 not inspected.
Nos. 10-12 Little Underbank was built in the late C18 or early C19 on the south side of Little Underbank. The 1849 1:1056 Ordnance Survey map shows the building originally abutted a larger building on its east side, identified as the Queen's Head Public House. The latter was demolished when St Petersgate Bridge was built in 1866-8, and it appears that at this point the public house moved into No. 12 Little Underbank. The pub fixtures and fittings confirm this, being of a later C19 date. There has been some late C20 remodelling retaining many original features.
* Architectural Interest: As a purpose-built urban premises built in the late C18 or early C19, with No.12 retaining an original shop front and doorway with Gothick glazing.
* Interior: No.12, known as the Queen's Head, retains the compartmentalised layout of a later-C19 urban public house and many contemporary fixtures and fittings including a rare spirits fountain.
* Group Value: Nos.10-12 form a composition with the adjacent St Petersgate Bridge and Nos.2-32 (even) form a group of urban commercial premises on one of Stockport's main streets.
Other nearby listed buildings