This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5624 / 53°33'44"N
Longitude: -2.328 / 2°19'40"W
OS Eastings: 378371
OS Northings: 407362
OS Grid: SD783073
Mapcode National: GBR DW57.SP
Mapcode Global: WH97X.6QPB
Entry Name: Radcliffe War Memorial
Listing Date: 10 March 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067192
English Heritage Legacy ID: 210777
Location: Bury, M26
Electoral Ward/Division: Radcliffe East
Built-Up Area: Radcliffe
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Radcliffe St Thomas and St John
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
The List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 1 February 2017.
SD 7807 RADCLIFFE BLACKBURN STREET
326-0/7/10003 Radcliffe War Memorial
War Memorial. 1922, by Sydney Marsh of Marsh Bros, Farnborough, Kent;
site designed by A. Baines Barker of London; stonework executed
by F.M. & H Nuttall Ltd of Whitefield. Darley Dale sandstone with
bronze statuary. Obelisk set on a square raised terrace with
surrounding walls and steps. The monument has a square base of
7 steps, a cruciform pedestal, and an obelisk which rises to 35
feet above street level. The 4 main faces of the pedestal have
large square bronze panels containing in relief 642 names of the
fallen of 1914-1918; the narrow re-entrant sides have matching
rectangular panels of names headed 1939-1945. The front of the
obelisk has a sword with a laurel wreath round the handle; its
base is surrounded by statuary on three sides, and a bronze
cartouche at the rear with "TO OUR/ GLORIOUS / DEAD / 1914-1918"
in raised lettering, and the Radcliffe coat of arms in the crest.
The statues, three large winged female figures modelled in
energetically flowing style, are emblematic of Liberty, Victory
and Peace: Victory, standing in the centre, holds Liberty by one
hand and in the other exultantly holds up the laurel emblem of
conquest; Liberty to the left breaks free, raising a flaming
torch; and peace to the right reclines on one leg, with roses of
remembrance in her lap, listening to the message of a dove
perched on her shoulder. The terrace is approached by a flight
of 4 broad steps from Blackburn Street, and enclosed by ashlar
walls which have tall bronze open-work lamp standards at the
corners. To each side is a simple rectangular garden surrounded by
a low plinth with square piers at intervals, linked by chains.
Listing NGR: SD7837107362
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.