History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Saviour

A Grade II Listed Building in Kearsley, Bolton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5436 / 53°32'36"N

Longitude: -2.357 / 2°21'25"W

OS Eastings: 376441

OS Northings: 405275

OS Grid: SD764052

Mapcode National: GBR CWZG.JG

Mapcode Global: WH982.R6T7

Entry Name: Church of St Saviour

Listing Date: 31 May 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067295

English Heritage Legacy ID: 210517

Location: Bolton, M26

County: Bolton

Electoral Ward/Division: Kearsley

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Stoneclough

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Radcliffe

Listing Text

KEARSLEY FOLD ROAD
SD 70 NE (east side)
Ringley

10/36 Church of
31/5/66 St. Saviour

G.V. II

Church. 1850-4. By Sharpe and Paley. Rock-faced stone
with ashlar dressings; stone slate roof. Nave with aisles
under lean-to roofs, chancel with south vestry. 5-bay nave
has aisle windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights under
multifoils; single-chamfered tracery. Clerestory has
quatrefoil windows. North aisle has porch with segmental-
pointed entrance; window to right of 3 pointed lights with
uncarved corbels. West end has entrance under 3 tall 2-
light traceried windows. To right an octagonal turret with
gabled buttress; top stage has angle shafts and lancet
openings, cornice and slate spire. Gabled buttress to left.
2-light plate tracery aisle windows. Entrance hood stops
and buttress corbels are uncarved. Chancel has diagonal
buttresses flanking stepped triple lancets; 3 lancets to
north. Vestry has 2 lights and keyed roundel, the keys with
letters AMDG, and entrance with shouldered lintel to east;
straight-headed windows to south and west. Interior 5-bay
nave arcades on round columns. Braced collar roof. Round
font on chustered shafts. Arms of Charles I, dated 1637,
above entrance. Wall memorials to Ellis Fletcher, died 1836
and Matthew Fletcher, died 1808, both have figure by urn on
plinth with profile portrait. Chancel arch on corbelled
shafts. Octagonal pulpit on shaft; symbols of evangelists.
Rood on beam, 1928, has crucifixion and flanking figures.
organ loft to south. East end has alabaster arcading with
mosaic panels and ceramic tile figures, double piscina to
north and 3 sedilia to south. Good C19 stained glass to
east, C17 armorial glass to north. 2 early C19 wall
memorials.


Listing NGR: SD7644105275

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.