This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5556 / 51°33'20"N
Longitude: -0.1797 / 0°10'47"W
OS Eastings: 526290
OS Northings: 185654
OS Grid: TQ262856
Mapcode National: GBR D0.MCG
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.T5V8
Entry Name: Number 9 and Attached Railings and Gate
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067344
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476935
Location: Camden, London, NW3
London Borough Ward: Frognal and Fitzjohns
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2685NW CHURCH ROW
798-1/26/222 (North side)
and attached railings and gate
Terraced house. Probably c1728, built by R Hughes; refronted
late C19 in Georgian style. Brown brick with red brick
dressings and decorated cross-shape tie plates. Tiled roof
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attic and basement. Double fronted with 5
windows. Doorcase reused from former entrance at east end;
bracketed hood, doorway architraved with patterned fanlight
and panelled door. Gauged red brick flat arches to flush frame
sashes with exposed boxing. Plain brick band at 1st floor
level. Parapet with moulded brick band.
INTERIOR: of interest for its double plan and central
open-well staircase. Each half of the house with front and
rear rooms, the latter with closets. Hallway has full-height
panelling with dado rail and box cornice; Tuscan pilasters
denote its broadening into staircase hall. Closed string
staircase with turned balusters, moulded newels and ramped
handrails in open well, set within fully-panelled staircase
hall. Ground floor front room (left of door) has full-height
panelling and early C18 fireplace; room to its rear with some
panelling, box cornice and dado rail. Rooms to right of
hallway also fully panelled, and with Tuscan pilasters into
former alcove, now with partition and door into rear room with
closet. First floor front room the width of the house with
bolection-moulded fireplaces at either end, full-height
panelling, box cornices and shutters. Rear rooms and closets
also panelled, with ovolo mouldings and box cornices. Second
floor with some horizontal boarding and cupboards. Stick
baluster stair and matchboard panelling on descent to
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas with
urn finials and lamp-holders flanking wrought-iron gateway of
scrolled heart design with overthrow and gate.
HISTORICAL NOTE: during the 1860s this house was a Girls'
Reformatory School and in 1890s the Field Lane Industrial
School for Girls.
(RCHME: London: Vol. II, West London: London: -1925: 42;
Victoria County History: Middlesex: Vol. IX Paddington &
Hampstead Parishes: London: -1989: 20).
Listing NGR: TQ2629085654
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings