History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tomb of John Harrison and Family in St Johns Churchyard

A Grade II Listed Building in Frognal and Fitzjohns, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5552 / 51°33'18"N

Longitude: -0.1811 / 0°10'52"W

OS Eastings: 526196

OS Northings: 185601

OS Grid: TQ261856

Mapcode National: GBR D0.M0N

Mapcode Global: VHGQR.T53M

Entry Name: Tomb of John Harrison and Family in St Johns Churchyard

Listing Date: 14 May 1974

Last Amended: 11 January 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067359

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476969

Location: Camden, London, NW3

County: London

District: Camden

London Borough Ward: Frognal and Fitzjohns

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St John Hampstead

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Hampstead

Listing Text


CAMDEN

TQ2685NW CHURCH ROW
798-1/26/244 Tomb of John Harrison and family in
14/05/74 St John's Churchyard
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH ROW
Grave of John Harrison (St John's
Churchyard))

GV II

Chest tomb above brick vault. c1776, restored. Marble.
Rectangular plan on a stepped base. Fluted pilasters, set in
from angles on each side, have paterae enriched capitals at
level of fluted frieze; abacus and astragal continue around
tomb as cornice and string. North side inscription gives a
biography of John Harrison who invented the marine chronometer
and to the memory of his wife. South side inscription a
biography of his son William who tested his chronometers on
sea voyages and helped his father in a long struggle to claim
a ยป20,000 prize. Edge of top slab inscribed "Reconstructed at
the expense of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers of the
City of London 1879: William Parker, Master. Renewed and
railings removed 1934".

Listing NGR: TQ2619685601

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.