History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tomb of George Du Maurier and Wife in St Johns Churchyard Extension

A Grade II Listed Building in Frognal and Fitzjohns, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5556 / 51°33'20"N

Longitude: -0.1803 / 0°10'49"W

OS Eastings: 526248

OS Northings: 185648

OS Grid: TQ262856

Mapcode National: GBR D0.M73

Mapcode Global: VHGQR.T5J9

Entry Name: Tomb of George Du Maurier and Wife in St Johns Churchyard Extension

Listing Date: 14 May 1974

Last Amended: 11 January 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067373

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476983

Location: Camden, London, NW3

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Frognal and Fitzjohns

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St John Hampstead

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Hampstead

Listing Text


CAMDEN

TQ2685NW CHURCH ROW
798-1/26/259 Tomb of George du Maurier & wife in
14/05/74 St John's Churchyard Extension
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH ROW
Grave of George Du Maurier (St
John's Graveyard))

GV II

Headboard slotted and pegged into supporting Celtic crosses.
c1896. By Thomas Armstrong. Timber. Board inscribed on south
side to memory of George Busson du Maurier and with a
quotation from Trilby, his most successful novel, "A little
trust that, when we die, we reap our sowing - and so,
goodbye!"; on north side to wife, Emma; top capped with copper
having a fishscale tile design. Carved Celtic crosses
partially capped with copper and having further inscriptions
on copper plaques. Set into stone base with paved stone
surround. HISTORICAL NOTE: George du Maurier was a cartoonist
for Punch magazine and novelist who lived in Hampstead
1870-1895.

Listing NGR: TQ2624885648

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.