This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9262 / 52°55'34"N
Longitude: -1.4956 / 1°29'44"W
OS Eastings: 434008
OS Northings: 336646
OS Grid: SK340366
Mapcode National: GBR PFD.8D
Mapcode Global: WHDGT.0Q33
Entry Name: Ashgate Junior School, Front Block, Dining Hall and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 31 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067381
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477033
Location: Derby, DE22
County: City of Derby
Unitary Authority Ward: Mackworth
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Derby St Barnabas
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 3436 DERBY ASHBOURNE ROAD
(South West side)
Ashgate Junior School, Front
Block, Dining Hall and
School, former Infant School. Dated 1879, by Thomas Coulthurst, Borough Surveyor of Derby, with minor C20 additions and alterations. Red brick with blue brick, moulded brick and ashlar dressings. Gabled and hipped Welsh slate roofs. Gothic Revival style. Polychrome brick and stone work with buttresses and coped gables. Windows are mainly original glazing bar sashes.
Central block, 2 storeys, double range, with 2-storey wings to east and west. Major cross wing to west, with projecting gable and square corner tower. Central block has projecting central gable with 4-light windows on each floor, and a plate-traceried round window above. On each side, two 2-light windows. Wings have each two pointed arched doors, one blocked, and 2-light windows above. Projecting right gable has 5-light windows on each floor, and a plate traceried round window above. Corner tower, 3 stages, ahs clasping buttresses and machiolations. Pointed arched doorway, and above, 2-light windows front and rear. Above again, recessed panels, each with a traceried round window. Single storey rear wing, 5 bays, has regular fenestration, and a hipped cross wing. Rear elevation has mainly regular fenestration, with mid C20 2-storey additions to right and left.
INTERIOR: Classrooms have matchboard dadoes with quatrefoil ornament, framed doorcases and original 6-panel doors. Some have framed window surrounds. One has a half-glazed folding partition. Open well stairs have cast iron balustrades with additional guard rails. First floor hall has arch braced roof, ceiled-in mid C20. Cloakroom has moulded span beam on corbels, with cast iron column. Former science or craft room, now dining hall. Dated 1895, by Robert Harrison with late C20 alterations. Single storey with slate roofs and terracotta ridge tiles. Steel bar tension roof with clerestorey lights running the length of the ridge with 12 windows each side. Boundary wall, railings and gates. 1879, by Thomas Coulthurst, Borough Surveyor of Derby. Red brick with ashlar dressings. 3 single cast iron gates with moulded brick piers with plinths and chamfered capitals. Plinth wall with chamfered ashlar coping, the railing renewed mid C20. One panel of cast iron railing, matching the gates, survives at the west end. The railings and gates are part of the original architectural scheme, and match the school buildings.
Listing NGR: SK3400836646
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings