This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3575 / 51°21'26"N
Longitude: -0.1497 / 0°8'58"W
OS Eastings: 528931
OS Northings: 163671
OS Grid: TQ289636
Mapcode National: GBR F8.8XX
Mapcode Global: VHGRR.C47P
Entry Name: 120, Woodcote Road
Listing Date: 7 September 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067408
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477097
Location: Sutton, London, SM6
Electoral Ward/Division: Wallington South
Built-Up Area: Sutton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Wallington, St Patrick
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 2863 WOODCOTE ROAD
Gas company showroom and stores, later carpet showrooms. 1929-30 for the Croydon Gas Company by A Douglas Robinson in Spanish style. steel-framed with plastered exterior and hipped pantiled roof with brick chimneystacks with ceramic pots. Corner site with central part of the building set diagonally of two storeys with splayed corners, cornice of curved tiles and three 12-pane sash windows with decorated motif above central window. Ground floor accessed by large corner entrance with decorative architrave and coat of arms of Croydon Gas Company above and two radiating arms of showroom shop windows crowned by pantiles to the ground floor. This incorporates an archway to right hand side and also a pair of wooden gates with large L-shaped iron hinges. The plan had showrooms, shop and accounts on the ground floor and lecture hall and room settings on the first floor. Original interior features include stone staircase with iron handrail and tripartite round-headed staircase window with cable-moulded colonnettes, stone fireplace with panel and twisted columns, stone fireplace with pilasters, brackets and floral panel to former lecture hall, platform to former lecture hall, cast iron decorative skylight, original oak doors including ornate plaster mouldings, gas light fittings and sanitaryware. A showroom of similar style at Thornton Heath has been altered but Wallington has a more interesting plan.
["The Architect and Building News" June 61930.]
Listing NGR: TQ2893163671
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings