History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Worsley Court House

A Grade II Listed Building in Worsley, Salford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5003 / 53°30'0"N

Longitude: -2.3818 / 2°22'54"W

OS Eastings: 374773

OS Northings: 400462

OS Grid: SD747004

Mapcode National: GBR CWTY.4Z

Mapcode Global: WH988.D82Z

Entry Name: Worsley Court House

Listing Date: 29 July 1966

Last Amended: 2 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067484

English Heritage Legacy ID: 211984

Location: Salford, M28

County: Salford

Electoral Ward/Division: Worsley

Built-Up Area: Eccles

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Worsley St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Worsley

Listing Text

WORSLEY BARTON ROAD
SD 70 SW
(north-east side)
1/27 Worsley Court
House (formerly
listed under
29/7/66 Worsley Road)
G.V. II

Court house, now public function suite. 1849. For the 1st
Earl of Ellesmere. Timber-framed structure with slate roof.
The consciously picturesque massing centres round a large
hall with various lower wings all of 1 storey. Projecting
stone plinth and vertically studded framing which has
decorative square panelling in the numerous gables. The tall
gable of the hall is flanked by smaller gabled wings which
project forward. Between them a loggia and balustrade form a
porchway to the studded door which is off-centre and has a
Tudor-arched moulded surround. Windows are generally of 3 to
6-lights with ovolo-moulded timber mullions, leaded
casements and some with transoms. The gables have decorative
barge boards and finials. Projecting wing to left with large
stone chimney stack. The right of the hall has a massive
projecting stone chimney stack which is terminated at the
top by a pyramidal roof to a tower-like feature in an
Italianate style. Adjacent to it is the principal window
which is a 6-light gabled oriel with mullions and transoms.
The library which adjoins to rear is not included in this
entry. The revival of timber-framing in 1849 is a
particularly early occurence and is one of a handful in the
Worsley area.


Listing NGR: SD7477300462

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.