History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monton Unitarian Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Eccles, Salford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4929 / 53°29'34"N

Longitude: -2.3556 / 2°21'20"W

OS Eastings: 376504

OS Northings: 399638

OS Grid: SJ765996

Mapcode National: GBR CXZ1.TL

Mapcode Global: WH988.SGGL

Entry Name: Monton Unitarian Church

Listing Date: 9 July 1979

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067501

English Heritage Legacy ID: 211943

Location: Salford, M30

County: Salford

Electoral Ward/Division: Eccles

Built-Up Area: Eccles

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Monton St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Swinton

Listing Text

ECCLES MONTON GREEN
SJ 79 NE
(north side)
4/10 Monton
9/7/79 Unitarian Church
G.V. II*
Church. 1873-75. By Thomas Worthington. Rock-faced stone
with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Cruciform plan with
aisles, apsidal chancel and south-west tower which stands
outside the aisle. Gothic Revival. 5-bay nave and aisles
with projecting plinth, weathered buttresses, paired cusped
lancet aisle windows and two 2-light Geometrical tracery
clerestory windows in each bay. Coped parapet to aisle. 4-
light windows to transepts which have diagonal buttresses.
5-light west window above west entrance. An octagonal stair
turret at the west end of the north aisle gives access to
the organ loft. Impressive 3-stage tower with angled
buttresses, south entrance, cusped lancet windows, paired 2-
light belfry openings with transoms and a broach spire with
lucarnes which is set behind a coped parapet. The polygonal
apse has 2-light windows and weathered buttresses and has
vestrys to north and south. Interior: double-chamfered nave
arcade on circular columns. Hammer-beam roof trusses with
tie rods and curved wind-bracing. Good carved timberwork
throughout including canopied stalls, pulpit, pews, reredos,
panelling and organ loft (by Foster and Andrews of Hull,
1883). Good stained glass largely by Heaton Butler and
Bayne. Minton floor tiles. The original elaborate iron
light standards and other fittings are a particularly
noteworthy survival. Generally an imposing design which
exhibits many of the Architect's individual qualities.


Listing NGR: SJ7650499638

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.