History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Pendlebury, Salford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5036 / 53°30'13"N

Longitude: -2.3098 / 2°18'35"W

OS Eastings: 379549

OS Northings: 400813

OS Grid: SD795008

Mapcode National: GBR D27.L1

Mapcode Global: WH989.H6BD

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 2 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067507

English Heritage Legacy ID: 211955

Location: Salford, M27

County: Salford

Electoral Ward/Division: Pendlebury

Built-Up Area: Salford

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Pendlebury St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Swinton

Listing Text

SWINTON & PENDLEBURY BOLTON ROAD
SD 70 SE
(north-east side)
2/1 Church of
St. John the
- Evangelist
- II

Church. 1842 with chancel added in 1854 and baptistry in
1882. Rock-faced stone with slate roof. Nave and chancel
with west tower and porches on north and south. Neo-
Romanesque. 6-bay nave with projecting plinth, shallow
buttresses and a coped parapet above a corbel table. Each
bay has a tall round-arched window with hoodmould. South
porch is castellated whereas the north porch has a coped
gable. At each end of the nave square piers with nook shafts
and pyramidal caps rise above the parapet. Chancel has a 3-
light east window. 3-stage tower with shallow angled
buttresses, round-arched door, clock-faces in foiled
surround and a belfry stage with nook shafts, 5 tall round-
arched openings in each side and a shallow distinctive
pyramidal roof above bold brackets. Adjacent to the tower is
the semi-circular baptistry with conical roof. Interior:
Romanesque detailing continues throughout. Alternating king
and queen-post roof trusses have diagonally braced tie
beams. Chevron enrichment to chancel arch. Painted chancel
ceiling. Timber fittings include pews, stalls, pulpit and
west gallery which sits on barleysugar-twist cast-iron
columns with cushion capitals. Stone font. Stained glass.


Listing NGR: SD7954900813

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.