This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1182 / 51°7'5"N
Longitude: 0.1844 / 0°11'3"E
OS Eastings: 552981
OS Northings: 137702
OS Grid: TQ529377
Mapcode National: GBR MPV.ZBL
Mapcode Global: VHHQK.45V4
Entry Name: 3 and 4, Bird-In-Hand Street
Listing Date: 20 October 1954
Last Amended: 24 August 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067571
English Heritage Legacy ID: 438593
Location: Speldhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Speldhurst
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Speldhurst St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 53 37 SPELDHURST BIRD-IN-HAND STREET, OLD
16/450 Nos 3 and 4 (formerly listed as
20.10.54 Pair of Cottages immediately
south of The Forge)
2 cottages, built as one house. Probably mid/late C17 with minor C19 and C20
alterations. Weatherboarded timber frame on coursed sandstone footings; brick
stacks and chimneyshafts; peg-tile roof.
Plan: Pair of cottages facing north east. No 3 to left (south east) has a 2-
room plan. The left end room is unheated and the right room has an axial
stack backing onto No 4. No 4 has a one-room plan with a right (north west)
end stack. Both cottages have service rooms in rear outshots.
The 2 cottages have evidently been made by subdividing a mid/late C17 3-room
lobby entrance plan house. Originally there was only the axial stack serving
the centre room (the right end stack is a late, probably C19, addition). The
winder stair to rear of the stack (now belonging to No 4) is probably the
original staircase. The house was clearly built before the adjoining
building, Nos 1 and 2 (q.v.), since there are blocked windows from the cellar
upwards in the left (south east) end wall blocked by the adjoining house.
This pair of cottages is 2 storeys with attics in the roofspace with a cellar
below the left end (No 3) and secondary lean-to outshots to rear.
Exterior: Irregular front fenestration with 4 ground floor windows and 2
first floor windows, mostly C19 and C20 casements containing diamond panes of
leaded glass. However some of the frames are original, e.g. first floor
window over the centre room has flat faced mullion with shallow internal ogee
moulding. 2 similar front doorways up flights of stone steps. Both have C19
plank doors under shallow flat hoods with moulded edges on shaped timber
brackets. It is a tall house and has a tall and steeply-pitched roof, hipped
both ends, and containing 2 front hip-roofed dormer windows.
Interior: The original C17 carpentry is well-preserved. Wall framing of
relatively large scantling timbers with curving tension braces. End rooms
have plain axial joists whilst the main central room has a moulded axial beam.
The fireplace to the central room is blocked but its brick sides and back show
in a cupboard and it has a chamfered oak lintel. Roof of tie-beam trusses
with clasped side purlins. The downhill (left) end wall appears to contain
blocked windows on each floor, the cellar one still containing a grille of
slender diamond mullions.
Nos 3 and 4 are a very good and well-preserved modest C17 house and they form
part of the exceptional group of listed buildings associated with Groombridge
Place (q.v.) in Old Groombridge.
Listing NGR: TQ5297937698
Other nearby listed buildings