This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9433 / 52°56'35"N
Longitude: -1.4734 / 1°28'24"W
OS Eastings: 435484
OS Northings: 338560
OS Grid: SK354385
Mapcode National: GBR PL6.38
Mapcode Global: WHDGT.B8MZ
Entry Name: Cottages Nos 1-4 (Consecutive) and House
Listing Date: 13 February 1967
Last Amended: 30 May 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067831
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489816
Location: Derby, DE22
County: City of Derby
Unitary Authority Ward: Darley
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Darley Abbey St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Derby
893/0/10104 OLD LANE
30-MAY-02 Darley Abbey
Cottages Nos 1-4 (consecutive) and House
(Formerly listed as:
(Formerly listed as:
Darley Abbey Mills (East Mill, Middle
Mill, West Mill, Finishing House, Enqu
iry Office, Toll House, Cottages and O
A group of two storey brick built, slate roofed cottages and a three storey house within the boundaries of the mill yard dating from late-C18 to Mid-C19 much altered C20. Nos 1-3 form a terrace at the eastern gateway to the complex. The HOUSE is detached in the north yard of the site. Built by the Evans family.
NO 1. is a tall, two bay, little altered mid C19 cottage with original sash windows and contemporary rear outbuildings. It appears on a 1852 map.
NOS 2 & 3. are rendered and painted and were formerly single bay cottages. They were built by 1826.
No 4 is roughly square in plan and may formerly have been two (or even four) single bay dwellings but now one house. It has timber sash windows below shallow brick lintels. Probably dates to 1792 and is shown on an 1811 map.
HOUSE. 3 bay, 3 storey brick built and slated dwelling with a delicately concave front and convex rear. Latterly used as an office and store and much altered. South-western front overlooks approach to mill and it is shown on a map of 1811.
These buildings are included for group value only.
This complex of structures forms part of the textile manufacturing site at Darley Abbey which traded under the name of Boars Head Mills. The complex as an entity is exceptional in its completeness of survival, and displays important aspects of the development of fire-proofing technology for textile factories. The site forms part of the closely related network of pioneer textile manufacturing sites in the Derwent Valley; Thomas Evans was an associate of Richard Arkwright of Cromford and the Evans family was related by marriage to the Strutt family who had mills in Belper, Milford and Derby. Darley Abbey sits alongside these settlements in terms of both historic and architectural significance, the mill complex retains all of its major early buildings as well as the C19 additions many of which are distinguished by the use of iron roofs.
Ref. English Heritage Architectural Investigation Report NBR 33050
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings