History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade II Listed Building in Newport Pagnell, Milton Keynes

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.0869 / 52°5'12"N

Longitude: -0.721 / 0°43'15"W

OS Eastings: 487733

OS Northings: 243944

OS Grid: SP877439

Mapcode National: GBR CZR.4K5

Mapcode Global: VHDSV.GT61

Entry Name: Ken's

Listing Date: 11 November 2002

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067835

English Heritage Legacy ID: 489821

Location: Newport Pagnell, Milton Keynes, MK16

County: Milton Keynes

Civil Parish: Newport Pagnell

Built-Up Area: Newport Pagnell

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Newport Pagnell

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


645/1/10019 29
11-NOV-02 (Ken's)


House, now commercial premises. C17 or earlier with later alterations, including early-C20 refronting for the International Stores. Timber-framed with later brick nogging; some stone; brick frontage to High Street. Roof of plain tiles to front range, slate to rear wing; brick stacks. One and a half storeys, 3 bays, with long rear wing of 2 builds and 2 storeys.
EXTERIOR: High Street elevation: tall polished black marble shopfront, and a side-entry with a 6-panelled door. The upper floor has 3 narrow moulded brick panels. Steep roof with 2 dormers. At the rear, a short wing of stone on the east, extended by a long 2-storey wing, partly timber-framed and with a brick gable-end wall; a dormer on the east roof pitch; blocked windows in the gable end.
INTERIOR: Front range ground floor has suspended C20 ceiling. Rear range has chamfered spine beam. The rear wing has a clasped purlin roof above cambered tie-beams, and long diagonal braces.
HISTORY: In the mid-C18 this was a Coffee House, owned by Walter Beaty. It subsequently functioned as a public house, which had closed by 1862. In the early 1900's it became a branch of the early grocery chain, the International Stores, who re-fronted the property.
Primarily listed for group value with adjacent buildings on High Street.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.