This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0855 / 52°5'7"N
Longitude: -0.7266 / 0°43'35"W
OS Eastings: 487350
OS Northings: 243780
OS Grid: SP873437
Mapcode National: GBR CZR.93F
Mapcode Global: VHDSV.CV74
Entry Name: Church of St Bede (Roman Catholic)
Listing Date: 11 November 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067836
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489822
Location: Newport Pagnell, Milton Keynes, MK16
County: Milton Keynes
Civil Parish: Newport Pagnell
Built-Up Area: Newport Pagnell
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Newport Pagnell
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
645/0/10009 HIGH STREET
11-NOV-02 CHURCH OF ST BEDE
Church, originally police station and courtroom. Built in 1847, designed by Richard Shepard in Classical style. C20 front door and some internal alterations. Built of red brick in flemish bond with stone and yellow brick dressings and slate roof. Original plan was police station and cells on ground floor, together with two police flats with separate entrances to the street, and courtroom above.
EXTYERIOR: Main entrance front facing east on to former Market Square is of three bays with central open pediment with brick modillion cornice supported on giant Ionic pilasters with deep plinth. First floor has sash window with nine panes. Round headed arched doorcase with C20 door. Sides of one tall storey with hipped roof and tall blank round headed arches filled-in with cement rendering. North and south sides are of two storeys: three windows. Ends have open pediments supported on full-height Ionic pilasters with deep entablature to centre bay. Central first floor window is 6-pane sash, end windows are 9-pane sashes. Ground floor has central arched doorcase with plank door and Four 12-pane sashes with cambered heads. South side has an added two storey brick addition with stair and porch obscuring an end bay.
INTERIOR: First floor has original ceiling to courtroom divided into nine compartments by deep moulded beams and supported on four Tuscan columns at the intersections. The ceiling has a late C20 painting of "The river of Life" by Peter Koenig and three late C20 stained glass windows at the east end. The ground floor has been adapted in the C20 with a glazed screen to the west and folding screens opening to a meeting hall on the south side.
HISTORY: The Police were moved to a new Police station in 1872 and this building became a Temperance Hall in 1881. By 1891 it was a Mission hall for the Plymouth brethren, it was taken over by the Baptists in 1915 and adapted for use as a Roman Catholic church c1950 with refurbishments of c1986.
[ "Buildings of England" Buckinghamshire p576.]
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings