This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3844 / 52°23'3"N
Longitude: -0.9009 / 0°54'3"W
OS Eastings: 474906
OS Northings: 276833
OS Grid: SP749768
Mapcode National: GBR BTJ.F2R
Mapcode Global: VHDRD.BBMG
Entry Name: Maidwell Hall School
Listing Date: 19 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067856
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360357
Location: Maidwell, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: Maidwell
Built-Up Area: Maidwell
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Maidwell St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
6/104 Maidwell Hall School
Country House, now school. Datestone 1637. C18 house remodelled by J.A. Gotch in
1885. Regular coursed lias with plain tile roof. train house is a shallow H-plan
with square towers at the corners. 2 storeys with attic. Centre of the main
front is of 9-window range of casements with wood mullions and transoms with
plain ashlar surrounds. The centre bay breaks forward to a 2 storey porch with
ashlar facade. Entrance has round head with moulded stone voussoirs.
Semi-circular headed window to first floor with open balustrade above. Dutch
gable with round window set back above porch. Datestone 1639 on porch. Similar
balustrading to main house probably c.1885. Gabled roof with dormers having
simple wood pediments. Large ashlar stacks at ridge. Square flanking towers have
moulded stone cornices and large lead cupolas all probably c.1885. Wing to right
probably mid C17 of 5-window range of 2-light stone mullion windows with ashlar
gable parapets and stacks to ridge and end. Garden and rear facades similar to
main facade with large staircase projection to rear probably c.1885 having
armorial tablets. North side has mid and late C20 extensions. Interior: Dates
mainly from restoration of c.1902 following a fire and c,1930 adaption to
school. Entrance hall has wide staircase with moulded wood balustrade. The
entrance hall and 4 principal reception rooms to left and right all has large
early C20 fireplaces some probably incorporating earlier mouldings. East wing
staircase hall haslarge open fireplace with ashlar surround and flanking arched
opening: probably C17. First-floor principal rooms to east front have fireplaces
with moulded stone surrounds.
(Buildings of England; Northamptonshire, p.302).
Listing NGR: SP7490676833
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings