This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4332 / 53°25'59"N
Longitude: -2.3441 / 2°20'38"W
OS Eastings: 377238
OS Northings: 392993
OS Grid: SJ772929
Mapcode National: GBR DX2R.90
Mapcode Global: WH98G.YYYW
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067893
English Heritage Legacy ID: 212919
Location: Trafford, M33
Electoral Ward/Division: Ashton upon Mersey
Built-Up Area: Sale
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Ashton-upon-Mersey St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 79 SE SALE CHURCH LANE
3/160 Church of Saint
Church. 1714 for Joshua Allen with baptistery of 1874 by W.H.
Brakspear and tower of 1887 by George Truefitt for Sir Williams
Cunliffe Brooks. Ashlar and timber framing with graduated
slate and clay tile roofs. Wide nave with west gallery,
south porch, north baptistery and chancel with adjoining
tower and vestry to south, organ chamber to north. 4-bay
nave with porch (largely of 1887) in bay 1 in the same style
as the tower top. The other bays have 3-light chamfered
mullion windows with semi-circular heads in a C17 manner.
The bold square tower has a projecting plinth, 3 casement
windows at low level, datestone and a timber-framed clock
stage, most of the panels being open. It has a clock face,
gables on each side with moulded barge boards and is crowned
by an elaborate weather-vane. The east and west windows are
of 4 and 5 lights with intersecting tracery. The octagonal
baptistery with pyramidal roof is in a more conventional
post-Puginian Victorian Gothic style. There is a series of
headstones attached to the south wall dating from 1644.
Interior: chancel panelled with box pew ends. Double hammer
beam roof with convex curved wind braces, probably of 1714.
C16 octagonal front wrongly inscribed 1304, on C20 shaft.
C18 baluster-type font. Studded batten door from former
church (probably 1304). There has been a church on the site
since 850 AD and the site was a Saxon burial ground.
R. Richards, Old Cheshire Churches, 1973.
Listing NGR: SJ7723892993
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings